Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Cheese of the Day

Manchego. God, that’s fun to say. MaaahhnnnCHAAYYgoh! It’s the perfect flavor and the perfect consistency. I’ve been eating it today with black sesame crackers and strawberries. It sounds weird but it’s what was in the kitchen. I’d really like to make an appetizer of little bread rounds topped with a tapanade of spanish olives, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and olive oil and then thin slivers of manchego, toasted until the cheese melts. Or a sandwich of grilled vegetables (zucchini, onion, tomato, portobello mushroom) and manchego on rosemary focaccia. Is rioja the popular choice for manchego? Because I think I’d prefer a spicy zinfandel, at least with these dishes. I’m not so great with food/wine pairing. I’m the same way with playing pool. Any success I may have is only the result of pure luck and not a single degree of skill. So tell me...what would you make with manchego cheese and which wine would you serve with it?

2 comments:

ginny said...

i have to say that i would eat manchego w avocado and french bread. the avocado should be dusted w some salt and pepper and maybe cayenne....hopefully i am eating this snack outside somewhere beautiful and the snack is adding to my happiness. the wine? i am gonna go ahead and say some kind of red space bag wine because the bag is easy to carry in a pack and there is no bottle to contend with...and because i am cheap and easy.love, ginny

Alannah said...

Sounds perfect. From one who's cheap and easy to another.