Friday, September 15, 2006

Cheese of the Day

Mahon.

The hunk I got yesterday is on the dry and hard side, but still sliceable. Its flavor is strong, salty and very informed by the smell of the rind which is powerful but the taste is mellower, like the ocean. I grated it on top of focaccia I’d drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with strips of fresh basil and rosemary. Oh and thin slices of tomato....like a pizza but not. More like Pure Essence of Pizza. I thought it was tasty. It took longer to convince my daughter, but she came around. I’m prying open her palette and it’s working but in frustratingly slow increments. She loves sushi finally. I think of what I was fed when I was her age: sourkraut on cold brown rice, miso soup made slimy with huge chunks of sauteed onions, Waldorf salad (even typing those words stirs up nausea), burnt millet, all of it prepared with no regard for flavor whatsoever. We want our kids to have it better, right? I still have quite a bit of Mahon left. Now I need to get some olive and sherry and I’m good to go. I’m almost done with Spanish cheeses, though. Not that they’re not delicious, I am just ready for something new.

1 comment:

Lori Mocha said...

I want some essence of pizza, please.

RIGHT NOW.