Saturday, September 30, 2006

The smell of leather, exhaust and smoked meats

There are an estimated 300,000 bikers in town this weekend for the annual Bikes, Blues and BBQ festival. People like to start complaining about it weeks in advance. Sure, a lot of the bikers are ridiculous, middle-aged white people with too little hair and too much gut, covered in leather and preening over themselves (not a generalization. I've been an amateur biker ethnographer for years), and those bikes with the straight pipes go all fucking night long and the dogs in my neighborhood howl miserably and it takes a million years to get from one side of town to the other. But I think this weekend is just awesome.

The circus comes to town.


I mean, where else will you see Mullets for Jesus...
and poodles in Harley Davidson gear in the same place?
Oh, and if you had a birthday in the past week, I'll make pesto for you with the last of my basil. Put in your order now.

3 comments:

miss marty said...

we need to figure out a mail-order food swap system. i made a delicious pumpkin cheescake yesterday, but with only pork and i to eat it it will be around for a while. too bad we can't swap cheescake for pesto!

Lindsley said...

Uh, pretty neat rhetorical analysis, but be glad you don't still live in the neighborhood this weekend. Parking on Rollston is hard to find.

Cheers,
Lindsley

Alannah said...

I love pumpkin cheesecake like you wouldn't believe. I love to use gingersnaps instead of graham crackers for the crust. I wonder if I can freeze and mail you your birthday pesto, Marty?

And Lindsley! Hi! I miss Rollston St. but can't imagine what the noise level is like these days. You totally caught me rhetorically analyzing again.