Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Southern Comfort

Yesterday was one of those days that just rained shit on me all day long. I felt like a weeble-wobble. I should have known to expect it because my astrologyzone horoscope told me it would be difficult. That’s right. I think transubstantiation is ridiculous but I believe that the position of the stars and the planets affect my state of mind. That’s how I roll.

But today’s a new day, one day closer to the weekend! And there’s Project Runway tonight!

Last night, in a feeble attempt to cheer myself up, I made our family’s version of comfort food: brown beans, turnip greens and skillet cornbread. The brown beans are easy...just soak and then cook on low for hours with garlic, cumin and onion. Turnip greens are steamed then doused with hot pepper vinegar. The cornbread recipe is one I’ve adapted from watching my grandmother and great-aunts make it forever. First I put the cast-iron skillet in the oven to get really hot. In a bowl I mix yellow cornmeal, salt, baking soda and just a tiny bit of wheat flour (I don’t really know amounts; I eyeball it). Then I add buttermilk and stir. I add some butter to the hot skillet and let it melt then add the mix and bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes. When I take it out it has that buttery crisp crust. Slice the cornbread while it’s steaming and spread more butter inside. Okay maybe I cheered up just a little.

No comments: