Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Thoughts on: The L Word

I've slowly been watching the first season of The L Word and it's pretty fun in that "these people do not exist in reality, at least not all together as friends" type of way. But I don't know, I'm not an upwardly-mobile, sexy, white, femme lesbian in Los Angeles so maybe I'm totally wrong. I've always thought Jennifer Beals is an underrated actress. I don't understand a system where someone like Demi Moore becomes so big and Jennifer Beals stays under the radar. Her eyes alone can convey at least four different emotions at once. Oooh, looks like someone has a little crush.....too bad her character seems stuck on being the "bad husband." Pam Grier is really good too. She plays Beals's sister and so far seems to be underused. That could change, of course...it IS only the first season. The storylines are just soap-y enough to make me want to keep watching.

My favorite character to hate is Jenny. GOD! How many women like her have I met in my life? Those pale, artsy girls who bat their big eyes, tremble their lips and manipulate whomever they feel like, based purely on whim and "gaining experience." I have always wondered why people are dumb enough to fall for that shit. Well the jig is up. Look out, you waifish mind-fuckers - I'm on to you!

No comments: