Tuesday, October 10, 2006

In Honor of Rocktober

I need to call a time out on new words being invented by combining other words (Portmanteaus which become neologisms). I guess with English being a Germanic language we are well within our rights to just shove together whatever words we feel like in order to create new meanings but this is getting OUT OF CONTROL!

I'm including a short list, off the top of my head, of the most irritating examples:
  • Bacne
  • Blogosphere (anything containing "blog," really)
  • Brangelina (and all it begat)
  • Chocoholic
  • Croissandwich
  • Guesstimate
  • Infotainment
  • Islamofascists
  • Netiquette
  • Reagonomics
  • Sexpert
  • Webinar
And I'll leave you with one I do love: trustafarian.

What portmanteau words make you cringe?

3 comments:

C. L. Hinton said...

I don't think they bother me as much as my #1 most hated grammar faux pas: misusing "myriad."

It's not a myriad of anything people! And you stupid talking head news anchors are the worst: Today, a myriad of problems beset the Middle East.

It's "myriad problems." Why can't you understand??

Fuck you! Fuck you fuck you fuck you! It isn't hard, you know. Learn to talk, Barbie!!

And the word "anymore" is NOT synonymous with "lately" or "these days." Jerkasses.

But I'm fairly alright with portmanteaus, actually.

Alannah said...

Oh my god..Misuse of "myriad" is right up there with "irregardless" and "I could care less."

Oh...you COULD care less? Well then WHY DON'T YOU??

Oh yeah. I remembered another portmanteau I love to hate: manorexia. And related: tanorexia.

carolyn said...

didn't bennifer actually preclude brangelina? and before that i was calling my senior year locker partner jeff and his girlfriend amanda jeffanda so honestly the whole thing could be my fault. sorry.