Monday, October 16, 2006

That Time Of Year Again

It was cool, gray, foggy and drizzly all day. It was the perfect day for....stew! This is the recipe I have been stuck on for years, with variations as necessary.

1 1/2 lbs organic chuck roast (I don't want to hear anyone bitch about the price of organic meat. I paid $10 for this cut and you would easily pay twice that in a restaurant...and not even for organic meat. Especially after reading Fast Food Nation I believe it's a moral imperative to only eat local organic meat. I really do.)
1 large onion, chopped
6 bulbs garlic, diced
1 28 oz. can Muir Glen diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 lb. Buttercream fingerling potatoes (still on those fancy potatoes, self-proclaimed food snob that I am)
1 1/2 c. cabernet sauvignon, or any strong red wine
2 large carrots, big slices
4 ribs celery, big slices
1/2 lb fresh green beens, whole
3 small serrano peppers, sliced
3 large shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 lb white mushrooms, sliced
plenty of chopped fresh basil, cilantro & green onions, to taste.

Sear the meat with the onions & garlic. After it browns add the next four ingredients and let simmer with about a cup of spring water for oh...20 minutes or so. Then add everything but the herbs and green onions and let simmer for about 45 minutes. You can add a lump of vegetable bouillon if you want more salt and oomph. Add the herbs & green onions just before serving. We ate this tonight with toasted and buttered dark rye bread and pinot noir (ummm...can't remember which one. Have to ask Ang tomorrow).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummmmm this looks incredible! I will have to steal...uh....borrow your recipe! :) And yes, the fingerling potatoes are very incredible!

I'm new here at blogger -- so I am visiting and saying hello!

Sherry