Monday, November 06, 2006

All About The Benjamins

This article in today's Northwest Arkansas Business Journal about municipalities and universities using lobbyists to secure national funding bothered me. I don't study business or politics enough to cite why, exactly, this feels wrong...it just seems to me like yet another example of capitalism being our form of government more than democracy. When a lobbyist (professional ass-kisser, palm-greaser) can secure more funding than an elected official for these towns and universities, I can see why they'd want to hire one. Of course they COULD hire or train people within their own employ to write grants and work to secure funding. I don't know...it just doesn't sit right with me, this notion of hiring other people to schmooze for public funding, essentially.

No comments: