Thursday, November 16, 2006

Yeast: It Gets a Rise Out of Me

I am completely intimidated by any baking that involves yeast. I have made so many inedible loaves of bread that I don't even try anymore. I'll just leave it up to the pros and buy it at the bakery, where it's guaranteed to be good and I won't feel like a failure.

However, my fear of yeast does not extend to pizza crust. It's the one thing I KNOW I can succeed with. Homemade dough is infinitely better than that chewy, flavorless crap you get in a can or with a mix. I like to make a big batch and then freeze fist-sized balls of dough so we can easily make personal pizzas. Which is what we did last night for our "Top Chef Isn't As Much Fun as Project Runway But We Enjoy Cooking On Wednesdays So Much We Don't Want It To End" night.
Check it out: Stella's homemade tomato sauce (it was her first attempt - turned out very good), fresh basil & spinach, olives, green onions, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, turkey pepperoni, garlic, a tiny drizzle of truffle oil and fresh mozzarella.

2 comments:

Collective Heartburn said...

uhh haa..haha.ha.ha.haha. Yeast...rise...I get it. Funny.

Alannah said...

Shut up. I love bad puns.