Monday, December 18, 2006

Billy Jean Is At My Door

Okay most of us are familiar with the better-known mondegreens in popular music: "Excuse me, while I kiss this guy," "Wrapped up like a douche," "There's a bathroom on the right."

I like the weird ones, though.

My friend Julie used to think Sade was singing "Fool of a red eye" instead of "smooth operator." And Liz thought the Fine Young Cannibals were saying, "She tries to get pregnant" instead of "she drives me crazy." I used to think instead of singing about Dirty Diana, Michael Jackson was saying, "Her teeth are yellow."

I'm fascinated with the function of our brains that works so hard to create meaning out of random sounds.

What lyrics have you misheard and still sing along with incorrectly?

13 comments:

Collective Heartburn said...

Well gee...1986, Til Tuesday with Aimee Mann. "Hush hush even down now you're so scary" insead of Voices Carry.

OK I'll go ahead and plug:

http://collective-heartburn.blogspot.com/2006/09/first-itune.html

Alannah said...

Lookit you, trying to turn the attention back to you.

"It's so scary" is another super well-known one...I'm not interested in those. I want the weird ones that make no sense.

Collective Heartburn said...

um..you got "YOU're so scary from me" also "kiss this guy".

OK, how about "strumming my FACE with his fingers...." Killing me Softly.

Collective Heartburn said...

"Purple haze CLOSET my brain..."

Collective Heartburn said...

Wait a second. It IS wrapped up like a douche. No?

Collective Heartburn said...

OMG I really thought it was douche. It's deuce. It must have been intended as douche, but got rejected by the record company. Like the Beatles, "Norwegian Wood" should have been Knowing she would.

I buried Paul. I am the Walrus. Coo coo cachoo!

Alannah said...

Whoa...easy there.

Listen, no way did I "get" those lyrics from you...they've been tossed around discussions and articles for years.

Collective Heartburn said...

bull doody.

Alannah said...

are you challenging me? Do you want proof? I'm busy..google those misheard lyrics and you'll see hundreds, maybe thousands, of references.

Collective Heartburn said...

OK I checked it out. The kiss this guy thing has apparently been a common thing. So I wasn't the only one. But Til Tuesday...even downtown it's so scary has been the mistake. Mine was even down now, YOU'RE so scary.

Collective Heartburn said...

But I bet you still heard the Jimi Hendrix thing from me first and just recently decided to google research after thinking of this post idea.

Alannah said...

Jonathan you are cracking me up. Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy is the name of a BOOK about mondegreens; I read it years ago. But don't worry...you influence me in other ways, okay?

Collective Heartburn said...

Mondegreens, Schmondegreens. How's that for a title?

OK you win. THIS time. I'll come up with one. Somewhere in Elton John's library of music there must exist a good "mondegreen".