Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Homemade Curry

Maybe it was all that feminizing soy talk that made me crave tofu last night. I am fighting off a bug so I wanted something healthy, spicy and soothing. So I sorta made my own kind of curry.

First I ground, with the mortar and pestle, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, shallots, thai spicy pepper and lime juice. At the same time I was toasting cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, mustard seeds and cumin seeds in the oven. I ground them in the coffee grinder and added them to the spicy mush in the mortar bowl. I added a smidge of madras curry powder and maybe 1/2 a teaspoon of thai red curry paste to make it a true curry suicide. I added all that to 2 cans of coconut milk and a cup or so of chicken broth and let it simmer and thicken. Then I added chopped onion, Yukon Gold potato, carrots and the tofu I'd already fried a little bit to make it firm and crunchy. In the last 5 minutes of cooking I added the rest of the leftover chopped Napa cabbage. And because I'm still a hippy at heart I made brown jasmine rice instead of white.

It was creamy, spicy, pungent and delicious.

5 comments:

5 of 9er said...

Jamie Oliver has a good curry recipe... it's has an English twist, but it is worth making. :)

Alannah said...

Can I find it online somewheres? And by "I" I mean "you."

Collective Heartburn said...

you hate Jamie Oliver

Alannah said...

I do? Why?

Collective Heartburn said...

oh...I thought you did. Nevermind. Maybe you just thought he was big G.