Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Some Are Born To Sing The Blues

Here’s why it bothers me when something I’m interested in becomes really popular (i.e. cowgirl boots, martinis, Oprah)*: It has nothing to do with snobbery (oh no, nothing at all). It bothers me because it turns something that provides for me small, personal joy into a trend. Suddenly everywhere you turn, your special little happiness is mirrored back at you in increasingly degrading ways. I don’t want to share these things with you, America! I want it all to myself. Maybe it’s a big sister thing, but I resent having to share.

That’s exactly what happened to me with “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey. Yes, the triumphant song about not giving up on your dreams. For years it was laughably bad. Now it’s Ironically Bad. It’s on The O.C.! It pours out of karaoke bars and SUVs. Sorority girls sing it en masse.

I don't think they like it for the right reasons, though. Journey aren't for laughing at, they're for feeling with. Your heart should soar when you hear that guitar solo. Your veins should pump to the driving beat. Or else give that song back to me.


*That's a joke. Y'all can have Oprah.

No comments: