Thursday, January 11, 2007

Alannah Very Tired

Spending all day with foreign students of varying English proficiency is exhausting but in a really good, fulfilling way - like the exhaustion that comes from a long, hard workout.

I try to be empathic, to imagine what it must feel like to cross many time zones in one day, to not sleep and then spend all day dealing with bureaucratic hassles and paperwork, to then be tested in foreign language skills and to be given important specific instructions, to be away from familiar faces, language, climate. I hope I convey friendliness, helpfulness, care and a desire to reach common understanding. Even when I resort to monosyllabalic Tarzan-like sentences.

At the end of a day like today all I want to do is grunt, park my ass on the couch, drink a beer and watch tv. I feel like this guy:


Not exactly an ideal ambassador.

2 comments:

Lori Mocha said...

Do you also want a toilet in your living room?

Alannah said...

oh hell yes, that would make life so much easier.