Monday, January 22, 2007

Pinko Liberal Exaltations

When I took a minute away from converting Thai bhats, Russian rubles, Brazilian reais and Mexican pesos to US dollars, researching Russian psychology ("acmeology"...wtf?), emailing professors, helping students figure out US coins, calling the mechanic to make sure my car can be resurrected (bracing myself for the estimate call...ouch), and working to find partner schools for an international teacher training program I realized today is the 34th anniversary of Roe vs. Wade. Sometimes I'm amazed this hasn't been overturned yet. I'm sure y'all can guess that I'm staunchly pro-choice but being pro-choice is about much more than wanting to keep abortion legal. It's about wanting reproductive health matters to be left up to women (and available to all women) and not become matters of The State. I just read that a Wal Mart denied emergency contraception to a couple. It's legal and over-the-counter now! That kind of shit riles me up. Almost as much as when they used to bring in hundreds of people to Fayetteville where they'd line up on College Avenue and I'd see little kids holding signs that said "I'm glad my mommy didn't abort me." Surely that's some form of child abuse. Anyway...they can chip away at it, but Roe v. Wade still stands. That's important.

3 comments:

5 of 9er said...

My only bitch about Roe vs. Wade is that so many debate it (both sides) and really do not know what it was about or how it came to the Supreme Court.

Lori Mocha said...

I wish some kids would march holding signs that say "I wish Mommy would have aborted me."

Alannah said...

Oh Lori, you've just come up with another great idea. I've had days where I've wanted that shirt...