Thursday, February 22, 2007

Alright, Bravo...

You sucked me in with Project Runway. I stayed along for Top Chef. I hate most reality shows, but I like these that feature talented, interesting contestants and unique challenges. I even get a bizarro, guilty, sick form of entertainment from The Real Housewives of Orange County. So I'm a fan; you got me where you want me. I even read the blogs on your websites for those shows I watch. I'm your ideal audience. And, apparently, I'm pretty easy to please (see: The Real Housewives of Orange County).

So why do you have to go and disappoint me with Top Design? First of all, Todd Oldham? He sucks as a host. His line delivery is very weird and he just seems uncomfortable all the time. Bravo has made a mistake in thinking they can find a Tim Gunn for every "creative profession show" they air. And then there's the judges who aren't near gay or funny enough. Bravo, you're the gay channel. You brought us Queer Eye. We LIKE gay! It's okay to amp up the gay here. And finally that brings us to the contestants who ARE gay enough but also not funny, or even interesting. And the design challenges so far have been equally uninteresting. Beach cabanas? Why? Kid's rooms? Yawn. It also seems weird that the designers are given this patch of white space to work with each week instead of what "real" designers do which is work with the space, and the clients, they're given.

Thumbs down.

3 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I agree with you on Todd Oldham. He acts and talks like the character Felicity Huffman played in "TransAmerica" -- wound up so tight that he's afraid to reveal himself. It's OK Todd, we know you're gay and it's OK to act like it. Give us a little personality.

But overall, I enjoy the show.

Alannah said...

Oh I know...I'll never give up on a Bravo show (that's a total lie. The bloom came off the Queer Eye rose years ago).

Kate said...

I totally agree. That show is the worst one yet. Instead, I just watch re-runs of sex and the city. How three years ago of me.