Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I Hate Being Embarrassed By Arkansas

This is much worse than your mother singing in the grocery store.

Feministing has an article up today about the failed efforts in Arkansas to ratify the ERA on the state level so it could move forward to national ratification. The bill's sponsor was Fayetteville's own Lindsley Smith (a woman I cannot say enough good things about, as both a politician and a person). It was all good to go until the Christian Right got wind of it and raised a stink, saying that ratifying the ERA would be a slippery slope towards federal funding of abortion and legal gay marriage.

Read the article and make sure to watch the video of that doddering old biddy, Phyllis Schlafly, still just as adamant as ever that the ERA will bring about all sorts of horrors, like women fighting in combat and the end of Mother's Day.

I'm amazed at how many people don't even know about the ERA or, if they do, don't realize it's never been ratified.

So, if you're one of those people, here's the text: “Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.” Radical, huh?

This makes me wonder what our schools would look like if desgregation hadn't been federally-mandated. This is also why I believe (as much as I'm SICK TO DEATH of this dichotomy) that Barack Obama would become president before Hillary Clinton - because sexism is more deeply ingrained in American society than racism.

5 comments:

NAME: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I'm sure Obama and Hilary would both make good presidents, but I can't listen to Hilary talk. I was screaming shut up into my car radio today, and hid nothing to do with what she was saying, and everything to do with her grating-ass voice.

Jeannie said...

You can be proud that Arkansas produced the Honorable David Pryor, who has been standing up with Rep. Smith to try and get this bill passed - I think he and Barbara are state treasures and hope younger people in Arkansas realize this.

Alannah said...

Jeannie, you're absolutely right. He's been fighting the good fight for a long time.

JD Bauer said...

Sorry, but I would vote for Obama because the more I see and hear Hillary, the more full of shit and typical she becomes. But that's just me.

I think McCain would sooner become president because racism and sexism are equally ingrained as a whole in America. I suspect the US is not ready for either a woman or a black man. I hope I'm wronng come the election.

America would have gone with Gore if it weren't fearful of a Jew in the Executive branch. That's a fact and I don't care who disputes it. Tell me there aren't the difference of voters who would have made Gore the victor if Lieberman weren't the running mate. Gore/Edwards would have taken the election. OK since Lieberman is actually a putz, let's go with Gore/[any white, CHRISTIAN putz] and it would have been Gore.

OK I'll give you the fact that America traditionally votes for dumb or dumb style...layed back, Christian, mainstream good ole boys.

And I think depending on who you're referring to, racism and sexism equally ingrained.

Sorry for not focusing more on the feminist aspect of your post. It was just that statement toward the end, the one that got you "sick" that I'm addressing.

JD Bauer said...

And just to add the bit regarding the Christian right. I think the power and manipulation stemming from that satanic community is what will bring the world to it's end. The human race that is. Any extremism breeds sexism. Even extreme feminism and extreme radical, retaliation from oposing groups breeds hatred, oppression, violence and stupidity.