Monday, February 12, 2007

I Respond Well To Guilt Trips

Thanks, Lori, you're right. I've got no excuse to not blog (now you've got me using it as a verb, dammit). It's not like I'm working 40-50 hours a week (and weekends) as a single parent with a boyfriend who lives an hour away. I got time to lean AND time to clean.

Okay so before I go into the pictures, I'll briefly go over last night's Grammys. I don't know why I even watch them; I'm so out of the loop, musically speaking. I guess I'm just a sucker for awards shows. I was happy to see strong women who speak their minds win over manufactured bimbos. I think the Dixie Chicks and Mary J. Blige are pretty awesome but I'm mostly just grateful that I didn't have to see Fergie or Gwen Stefani perform. I'm also an old fogey who was pissed that they didn't air some of the more interesting categories (contemporary americana/folk album for example) but I had to suffer through MULTIPLE Eagles covers by the gayest country band in the world (Stella told me they were Rascal Flatts? Is that right?) and Nashville Barbie, I mean Carrie Underwood.

Perhaps needless to say, I had yet another great weekend. I'll spare you the mushy details but I will discuss the food. Saturday I made two kinds of enchiladas: one stuffed with potatoes, cream cheese, red & yellow peppers and carmelized onions and the other with shredded chicken, roasted tomatillos, green chiles, queso fresco & cilantro. The potato enchiladas had the red sauce and the chicken ones got the verde. We drank a Sonoma Coast pinot noir that was spicy and not too heavy for the flavorful enchiladas.

Stella had "Crazy Hair Day" at school on Friday so we pulled out the old foam curlers. This look on her face really cracks me up.

I'm hard at work now planning the menu for Valentine's Day. I don't want to give anything away but it's gonna have multiple courses.

11 comments:

carolyn says said...

what will the dessert course be on the Valentine's day extravaganza?

we'll be attending a performance by the Dulwich Ukele Club because ukeleles = romance!

also, i feel that that picture of stella is the perfect complement to Lori's lament about her 8th grade perm

Alannah said...

I can't give anything away because the blog has ears (or something like that) but dessert will feature chocolate, primarily.

Ukeleles aren't given their sexy dues. Think about Marilyn in Some Like It Hot...

That picture of Stella IS a perfect compliment. Only those curlers were all her choice...

Anonymous said...

Speaking of "guilt", I like the "gayest country band in the world". Rascall Flatts = my guilty pleasure.

Alannah said...

Anonymous - I have no idea what they sound like normally but judging from last night's performance they were way too "new country" for my tastes. Country music is supposed to look and sound like old greasy honky tonks, cigarette smoke, heartbreak, whiskey, trucks, and dogs, not hair gel and Axe body spray. Yes, I'm dictating.

Alannah said...

Oh, and don't get me wrong - I'm all for guilty pleasures.

Anonymous said...

Yes, RF is definitely not old school country. I hear ya.

Jeannie said...

As usual- the food looks scrumptious! This old fogey agrees - on the Nashville Barbie and Rascal Flats- I don't even watch anymore b/c I only see my very favorite artists when they run down the categories that already recieved their awards..

Alannah said...

I know..what gives? Bob Dylan's last album was so good and deserved more attention than a blurb at the bottom of the screen. His Modern Times was up against another favorite of mine from last year, Rosanne Cash's Black Cadillac. Too bad we didn't hear a single one of those songs but had to be reminded to vote for Justin Timberlake's amateur duetist like a million times. I guess that's the American Idol affect.

lagrandedame said...

Multiple courses...or multiple orgasms?

StormySleep said...

First of all, gimme some a them enchiladas.....wowie zowie.

And second, I have a photo of my middle daughter (who coincidentally plays the ukulele, and graduated from Smith College with BAs in philosophy and studio art, and is a weightlifter) in pink sponge curlers making an almost identical face. Classic girl childhood!

Alannah said...

Legrandedame - Why am I not surprised you asked me this question, you sassy thing?

StormySleep - Your daughter sounds amazing. Teach me!