Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bare Feet On A Clean Wood Floor

I've been beyond stressed and busy and insane lately. Yesterday I worked a very full day full of foul-ups and problems in need of solving and even though all I wanted to do was come home and collapse, instead I scrubbed all the floors on my hands and knees.* Does anyone else do this? Or am I even more insane than I like to think? I feel like everything is falling apart and I need to CLEAN to recharge. I can't tell you how relieved and better I felt afterwards. Walking barefoot through the house without picking up dog hair, food particles, and dust is one of those small pleasures in life.

In other news, my state is embarrassing me yet again. We're halfway to banning gays from being foster or adoptive parents. Because THAT'LL really help children in need, take away more options for being in a loving home. The Arkansas Family Council sure does have a skewed idea of "family values."

I wrote my letter to my representative and the governor. So back to the grindstone for me.

*I did this in my work clothes - skirt and heels. Take THAT Joan Cleaver!

8 comments:

StormySleep said...

OK, sistah, my version: 1989, I am just home from the hospital after having a complete hysterectomy. Lying on the couch because I cannot go up the stairs. My kids: 18 months, 3 1/2, and 6 years old. My 'husband'? In Alaska (or was it Panama then, I can't remember). Me, besides hurting like hell: desperate to mop the kitchen floor. Which I did, in a crouching position because I couldn't stand up.

Solidarity in craziness.

Alannah said...

I frantically cleaned the house when I was in labor, too, now that I think about it. There's something about cleaning the house that settles my mind. It's SOMETHING I have control over and can make better, unlike everyotherdamn thing.

I should also mention that I have a fairly high tolerance for dust and clutter...it's just the floors that have to be clean in order to make me happy.

Solidarity in craziness....thank you!

Lori Mocha said...

Can you please come to my place and clean the floors.

THEY NEED IT SO BAD.

Alannah said...

I just might...who knows what I'll clean if the stress gets bad enough?

Anonymous said...

I furiously clean when I'm pissed off. If I'm cleaning like a mad woman while someone is there it probably means I'm pissed off at them. Too bad I'm not pissed off more often or my home would probably be spotless.

The [Cherry] Ride said...

First off: Thanks for writing a letter.

Second: I also clean when stressed - hands and knees and all - but I guess I'm not as obsessive about it since I can usually wait until the weekend, or at least until I get out of my work clothes.

extracurricular said...

Hello! When I got the 3am call that my dad had died - and I was 8 and a half months pregnant - I was standing on the kitchen units scrubbing the TOPS of the cupboards with baking soda before I got the first train back home.

5 of 9er said...

I am just like you... I clean especially when stressed. It helps me get out so frustration in a positive way. Plus I talk to myself when cleaning. Maybe I am going nutty too.