Monday, March 12, 2007

The Lazy Diplomat

I imagine I'll have time to catch my breath one day. In the meantime, I'll keep rushing from one thing to the next. We took our Japanese student to the airport early Saturday morning. We had a wonderful, exhausting three weeks with her. Stella finally got her wish of having a big sister! Then I took a group of students for a day trip. The weather was perfect and we spent the day soaking up the sun and discussing global politics and comparing America to their cultures. It'd be very difficult to pick a favorite aspect of my job but I think I'd have to say these sorts of conversations are right up there. These students are advanced scholars of social justice in their home countries. They come here to learn English and of course they all have their preconceived notions of what America will be like. Then they're plopped down in Arkansas, of all places. I like to think I can play a small part in showing them that not all Americans are narrow-minded oafs. See...there goes that American ego.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

What a cool job-I can't help but imagine them being plopped down in the Duggar's home though!! " Folding clothes is the Lord's work you see-.." or "You are in for a real treat -it's Aldi day!"

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I don't think it is ego on your part at all to convince them that we're all not oafs - I would be disappointed in you if you didn't. Bravo!

Bring them to Chicago and we'll have a blegger. ;-)

5 of 9er said...

Do they learn English with a Southern accent?