Friday, April 20, 2007

I Can Stop Anytime I Want

Okay so that thing I said about not watching the news anymore? I'm allowing myself some leeway. I think I'll just watch CSPAN all the time and spare myself the hysterical coverage (I don't ever want to hear the word "bloodbath" again. EVER), pointless "expert opinions," or obnoxious graphics that are all over the news and just take my political action straight up, no chaser.

I wish I were exaggerating, but we watched the Alberto Gonzales testimony ALL NIGHT LONG last night. Sexy, huh? I think I finally came to my senses and turned it off around 4am. Geez...I would have felt sorry for him if he didn't appear to be such a lying, track-covering, sputtering weasel. It seemed like every single member of the Judiciary Committee just couldn't wait to lay into him, even the "Bushies!" Arlen Specter reminded me of the scariest school principal ever.

And that's not all, folks. There's SO MUCH MORE to be concerned about in the world today. My brain and heart reel from stress, guilt, sympathy, and worry overload. Every day.

Other issues bothering me, as a woman and as a concerned citizen:
  • Supreme Court decision on late-term abortions. Especially scary was Justice Kennedy's statement telling Congress that they basically have a moral right to legislate these kinds of issues. Hey, Kennedy? Get back to me when YOU are 18 weeks pregnant and discover that the fetus is severely abnormal. Or better yet, why don't you just listen to the millions of voices who offer logical, as opposed to emotional or "moral," reasons for why this agreement is a huge mistake?
  • Now it appears that hormone replacement therapy greatly increases the likelihood of getting breast cancer. Awesome. So...the medical establishment told us to take hormones to reduce the crazies of menopause but now they're telling us that it might kill us. And, apparently, not taking hormones won't necessarily reduce our risks since our waters are so polluted with, yes, you guessed it, hormones (probably from human waste).
Happy Friday, y'all.

What a week. Damn.

5 comments:

Step Right Up said...

I'm curious as to how many late term abortions are actually performed say in a year's time in this country and if there is any data on the reasons (types of medical necessity, abnormalities, etc.)females have elected to have them performed.
Don't mind me. I'm just thinking out loud.

Alannah said...

Well...I was going to do some research and report what I found but after weeding through some numbers, I'll just include the link.

Lori Mocha said...

Hey, thanks for the research!

Step Right Up said...

Whew! That's a lot of data! I'll have to pull myself up an ottoman, pour a glass of wine, and pore over the numbers. Thanks for googling.

Alannah said...

The information you're looking for is in there, though. It's a very small percentage.

All of that date is very interesting, I'd say.