Thursday, April 26, 2007

Meat-Eatin' Cretin

D. and I have been wondering lately if we eat too much meat. It's hard to get over the notion that if meat is not involved, then the meal is somehow not "enough." And I was raised macrobiotic! I eat a lot of tofu and beans, but it's hard to let go of the idea that meat completes a meal.

I know I won't ever go completely vegetarian. I know I need protein too badly and can't rely on beans and tofu to provide it because I would die of boredom. But I am concerned about ecological issues and, of course, health issues related to meat-eating. Luckily we have local organic farms that raise chickens and beef. I'm making a concerted effort to only eat food that comes from within a 100 mile radius.

This seems to be one of the hottest food politics issues. I'm sure that deep down, where we are at our basest and most embarrassing, I know that another reason I won't ever go completely vegetarian is because I don't want to be associated with the holier-than-thou health fanatic types. I was raised by one and intimately know UNhealthy it is to be so judgmental. Cary Tennis had a good response today to one of those self-righteous vegans.

So bring on the ribs, hot wings, cheeseburgers, and fried chicken! But maybe not all at once.

6 comments:

NAME: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I could never give up meat. I figure you gotta eat those cows before they eat you.

Step Right Up said...

Did you ever see the Chris Rock stand up where he talked about how ridiculous it is that we have people who are anorexic in the US but if you took a steak to a country where food is not plentiful they would "eat the shit out of that steak!"? That quote sums up my relationship with red meat to a tee.

Alannah said...

Man, I'm so in love with Chris Rock lately. Someone asked him if America was "ready" for a black president and he responded, "Apparently it's ready for a retarded president so I see no reason why it wouldn't be ready for a black one."

Step Right Up said...

Kind of a backhanded compliment to a future black prez but nonetheless, funny!

5 of 9er said...

Meat does complete a meal. It just does. I love my veggie meals... but after eating them my brain say "what's next." Nice link!

ReckenRoll said...

It's funny, for me, carbs complete the meal. If there isn't some type of bread/pasta product involved somewhere then I may as well have not eaten.