Monday, April 16, 2007

Sick To My Stomach

As the numbers of the dead at Virginia Tech keep coming in, higher and higher, I am so tempted to just go home and crawl back into bed and have a good long cry. It's that same sense of numb horror and heartbreak I felt as I held my new baby and watched footage of the Oklahoma City bombing, or when I came home from my afternoon class in college and found out about Columbine, or, of course, September 11, when I huddled around the radio with my students, terrified but hiding it from them.

I don't have anything eloquent or groundbreaking to say. What makes people want to turn on random others in such a way? I understand rage; I understand the craving for revenge. I do not understand this. This makes me want to keep my child at home with me for the rest of her life.

Surely we're reaching our saturation point for grieving.

No comments: