Thursday, June 14, 2007

I know, I know...

I'm long overdue for an update. If I told y'all everything I've been up to, you'd be as tired-yet-excited as I am. I love being busy. LOVE IT.

My friend Carrie told me about her friend, an Arkansas writer named Suzi Parker. She's published two books on two of my favorite topics: sex and cocktails (god I'm glad my grandmother is sans computer these days). My assignment this summer is to read Sex in the South and compare notes and 1,000 Best Bartender's Recipes and test them out. Looks like I'm due for a summer I'll never remember. I'll report back later.

Where do I start with everything else?

Remember when I told you to never pass up an offer of homemade Brazilian food? Well I'm glad I take my own advice because Saturday night we were invited for a night of feasting (feijoada and collard greens, Brazilian soul food [anthropological-historical comparison on reinterpreted slave culture in the U.S and Brazil will have to come later]), music, dancing, and caipirinhas. SO MUCH FUN. When I looked around and saw not only Brazil but Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Russia, Bolivia, Turkmenistan, AND Arkansas represented around the room, I was filled with a melting pot of gooey love and happiness. Then someone brought out a guitar and started playing samba, someone else picked up a bucket and started drumming, and everyone danced, keeping the beat with whatever percussion was available. I can't adequately describe how special the entire evening was.

Feijoada and fixin's.

Dancing the samba.

There's more coming later....I promise. I'm also hard at work on my Summer 2007 mix and having lots of fun tinkering around with song order.

5 comments:

carolyn says said...

see how you do what i say! as it should be. now send me a plate of that food, stat!

The [Cherry] Ride said...

That sounds like so much fun!

PS - "sex and cocktails" are my favorite things too (and chocolate).

Step Right Up said...

I want to read Sex In the South!

Looks like you've been having fun. Welcome back!

Alannah said...

Thanks! It WAS fun.

I want to visit everyone in Brazil now.

5 of 9er said...

The summer mix is always a challange.