Thursday, June 28, 2007

Recommendations

I know I've mentioned before how valuable it is to have a good friend who just happens to be a wine expert. If it weren't for Angela, I'd wander around the wine bins, choosing the wine based solely on if I like the label or not. I'm hoping Angela starts a newsletter soon, so I can have some ideas for what to drink in terms of good, affordable wine. Every single thing she's ever poured for me has been really good. She came over for dinner the other night bearing three delicious bottles of perfect summer wines. I told her in advance that I was making some sort of spicy mahi-mahi dish (I hadn't figured out the recipes yet), and this is what she came up with:

We started with the Cruz de Piedra rosado garnacha. A dry, tasty rosé from Spain. Rosés could be THE perfect summer wine. This was D.'s favorite.

Then we moved on to the Bibi Graetz Casamatta bianco from Italy. This was a mix of several variatals. It perfectly complemented the spice and sweetness of our meal.

Lastly, with watermelon slices for dessert, we had this yummy Spy Valley gewürtztraminer from New Zealand.

I wish I'd taken pictures of dinner. I grilled mahi mahi and served it with a mango tomatillo salsa, avocado cream, and a chilled yellow rice & black bean salad. We ate outside by candelight, though, and it was too dark for photos.

Thanks again, Angela, for the perfect selections. Can we do it again soon....like Sunday?

5 comments:

Lori Mocha said...

YOU ARE MAKING ME SO DAMN HUNGRY AGAIN AND ALL I HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO IS LEAN CUISINE.

Alannah said...

I'll have to ask Angie what wine goes best with Lean Cuisine.

I'm thinkin' Boone's Farm.

Step Right Up said...

Boone's Farm would probably have been a better wine with what I had for supper last night (see post).

I'm thinking that you need to start packaging your meals and selling them like a Schwans type thing so all of us in the blog world can sample your wares.

Alannah said...

SRU - we already have the big truck I can drive around the neighborhoods selling my wares. Highfalutin' ice cream truck type-deal.

ReckenRoll said...

OOOH. I am all about the Rose this summer. Will have to check those out!!