Monday, June 25, 2007

Weekend Roundup

I feel great. You know how sometimes Monday rolls around and you think, "Damn. Where did the weekend go?" That's not happening to me. I wish I could bottle this. Or can it so I can open it and savor it in January. I've been able to balance TCOB (takin' care of business), creative time, AND rest and relaxation into my weekends. By Monday I feel rested, pleased because I got to check things off the neverending list of Things To Do, and ready to tackle the demands of the work week.

Friday evening was a reception for my students and the American families with whom they spent the weekend. Maybe I'm overstating the significance of these kinds of things...but it was amazing to think that maybe the smallest seeds of peace and healing were being planted. We had a Palestinian man spend the weekend with a Jewish family, and a Vietnamese man spend the weekend with a man who'd fought in the Vietnam War. I overheard some conversations that threatened to melt away the thick layers of cynicism inside me, formed from watching too much CNN.

Friday night was a bust because for some awful reason there were NO EPISODES OF THE DOG WHISPERER. What gives, National Geographic Channel? Now that's just wrong.

Saturday I intended to have a yard sale at my dad's but it started pouring down rain so instead we sat on his front porch drinking coffee, surrounded by boxes of unwanted things. I babysat a friend's five year-old boy and we went to the library and read Where's Waldo for a few hours, then came back to our house where I managed to get laundry done AND arrange a treasure hunt for pirate's booty. Saturday night I elected to stay home all alone while D. had a gig and Stella was at a friend's. Inspired by Megan's posts, I worked on jewelry. I made earrings while watching the A&E biography on Elizabeth Taylor. Her life is far more dramatic than any Danielle Steel novel (ummmm, not that I've ever read one. No way).

Sunday, a long-ass day, began so perfectly. D. made omelets and we drank coffee and read the paper out on the screened-in porch. The crossword answers came to me instantly. I painted bookshelves, did more laundry and mopped the floors. I made sun tea and went grocery shopping. Last night's dinner was pretty close to perfect. I marinated chicken breasts in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic, and fresh herbs. Then I made a variation on this potato salad recipe. I don't remember the last time I got so excited about a potato salad. I added steamed green beans. I wish I could feed every single one of you this potato salad. The combination of the lemon and herbs with the creamy dressing....OH MY GOD it was so good. I grilled the chicken breasts with corn on the cob. The iced sun tea was a natural complement.

14 comments:

carolyn says said...

mmmm potato salad, barbecue and sun tea.

mmmmm


i want to try to make sun tea here but there has not been enough sun lately

i am totally envious of your weekend

Alannah said...

I'd been wanting to make sun tea for quite some time. What makes it so good? Is it because it brews slower and more gently that it's less acidic or something?

Oh, and don't be surprised if my daughter shows up on your doorstop on July 20th close to midnight. She's Harry Potter CRAZED!!!

Step Right Up said...

Those fixins look good enough for a picnic!

Looks like you had quite a fun and productive weekend.

Carrie said...

Treasure hunt for pirate booty? Do tell.

Alannah said...

"Pirate Booty" = your old jewelry and beads wrapped in fabric and put in a paper box and then hidden under couch cushions in the living room in order to be hunted and found by a five year-old boy via a handmade map.

Lori Mocha said...

It is not nice to make me so hungry.

Alannah said...

I beg your forgiveness, Lori. Please don't kill me with your love.

carolyn says said...

she and my niece will probably meet someplace mid atlantic to discus potential plot twists and cuteness of harry v draco

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Umm, your weekend sounds like a real-life postcard.

ReckenRoll said...

I am so hungry right now and the photos of that gorgeous food did not help.

Must find dinner NOW.

NAME: Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Holy crap-fart!! Everything looks delicious.

5 of 9er said...

We need to be neighbors... please. Maybe then, your time management skills will rub off on me.

Alannah said...

You'll notice, 9er, that I don't post about the weekends I spend laying around eating food from cans and boxes and watching Lifetime movies.

extracurricular said...

Gorgeous! So today I'm going to make potato salad in grey flooded 50F degree Britain and try and taste some of your summer!