Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Summer Reading

The oppressive, thick, swampy Arkansas summer is upon us. I come home from work and must immediately lie down for a nap (where's my fainting couch?).

I will report some exciting developments at work very soon. Something I've worked on for quite some time is finally coming to fruition and I'll get to participate.

Last weekend was exactly what I'd needed. I spent all day Saturday reading and finished two books! I can't remember the last time I've done that. Early in the morning I read The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell (a book I'd been meaning to get around to for ages). I dunno....her writing might be a little too flippant for my tastes. It juxtaposes oddly with her often-stodgy material. But it was a quick, easy read and I didn't regret it all too much. Then I moved on to The Annunciation by Ellen Gilchrist. Angela read this last winter and had recommended it to me. It was another quick read, but more engrossing and visual. I say "visual" probably because the last half of the novel takes place here in Fayetteville and I was picturing everything as I'd remembered it years ago. She wrote about the old Fayetteville, before luxury condos and the Olive Garden and $75 haircuts moved in, but it's still recognizable. It's kind of nice to live in a place worth writing about. I'm such a sucker for her kinds of stories: wild, semi-tragic southern women and the men who love them.

I had missed reading. Hell, I miss writing. Next month my life will slow down some, but then Stella's back in school and we'll be into a whole 'nother time-sensitive routine.

2 comments:

step right up said...

I say you get one of them chaise lounges for faintin' and readin'.

Alannah said...

I want one so bad.