Monday, August 27, 2007

So Long, Alberto Gonzales.

What can I say? It's been a particularly busy week.

So okay.

My daughter started 7th grade the same day we started our new term. The students are especially needy the first few weeks (I can't blame them). My boyfriend had a birthday and we celebrated by going to someone else's birthday party. I have a lot to make up for. I managed to make a birthday dinner, but otherwise I haven't done near enough spoiling of this wonderful man. Not to mention the fact that he's put up with me this past week while I've been a Certified Crazy Person. I'll be making up for a lot.

Tell me, oh wise internet...is it bad parenting to allow your 12 year-old daughter to attend a rock concert with her friend, unsupervised, in Oklahoma City? She seems to think it's a perfectly reasonable and safe thing to do. OF COURSE SHE DOES. I'm thinking I'm going to have go with a "No go" on this one and be the Worst Mother in the World....yet again.

We've tried to find time for relaxation and fun:

D.'s messy and delicious cake. Homemade vanilla bean ice cream complemented it nicely.

Birthday dinner table.

Birthday dinner: ribeye steaks, grilled portabellos, herb mashed potatoes, wilted spinach, salad, and crusty bread.

Chicklet doing her job (being cute).

Ahhh, life in the South. Yeah....those civil rights we take for granted SURE DO SUCK!!


Back seat passengers.

Stella driving a golf cart for the first time and scaring the bejeezus out of me.

13 comments:

StormySleep said...

Boy am I glad my kids aren't 12 any more. I have to weigh in on the side of "it sucks hard to be a good mother" and go with 12 is too young to go to another state with another 12-year old unsupervised to a concert. Even though Stella is Way Mature, and even though she will hate you, and even though she's done similar things (?) with good outcomes, my thoughts -- since you asked! -- echo yours. Even if she and her friend are perfectly responsible and do all the right things, that doesn't mean someone ELSE will.

This is nearly a no-brainer. Your instinct is right on the money.

Alannah said...

Yeah, I wish I could say, "It's not Stella I don't trust, it's the other people out there" but that wouldn't be entirely true. I'm not sure I DO trust her, yet, to be in a situation (like a rock concert) where anything could happen.

jeff mac said...

I don't know which makes me happier, the picture of that steak or Alberto Gonzales quitting...

Ahh, Sophie's Choice.


http://manslations.com

Step Right Up said...

I agree with you. 12 is too young. But hey, what do I know? I don't have kids.
And maybe you should take in to consideration which concert she is going to. If it is Marilyn Manson, Akon (or is it Acorn?), or the Pussycat Dolls I say an emphatic 'hells no!' each one for a different reason.

Alannah said...

Don't you just love a good ribeye and Justice Department head resignation, Jeff Mac? I didn't even mention the peppercorn reduced balsamic sauce on top!

SRU - um, yeah, that was another side point I wanted to make. She wants to see Fall Out Boy (who, I might mention, she's already seen this year once...for free!). If she were wanting to see, say, The White Stripes (another band she loves), I'd just go with her.

carolyn says said...

well, according to my friend melissa that pete wentz was a lovely boy in high school, but i still vote for the 12 is too young to go unsupervised. i was 15 for my first concert and it was only sort of unsupervised, my friend's dad drove us, and picked us up at a pre-arranged location.

it was also the indigo girls, that's probably the safest place i've ever been in my life.

also. food = yum
chiclet = adorable
the bumper stickers where you live = yikes!

5 of 9er said...

That has to be a homemade ACLU sticker... right?

Alannah said...

Why oh why can't Stella be into lesbian folk singers instead of corporate teenybopper rock?

And 9er...it appears to be homemade. I shudder to think of someone selling those for profit. But I wouldn't necessarily be surprised.

carolyn says said...

my folks have no idea how easy they had it

smoore said...

D.'s one lucky guy- that cake looks scrumptious!

I can't believe that bumper sticker...wait, I can- we live in Arkansas...

Anonymous said...

That bumper sticker makes me homesick...I miss my youth in Texas, where I used to while away the hours by "key"-ing cars.
--Sarah Fisch

ReckenRoll said...

I just ate lunch but that food still has my mouth watering. Mmmm.

And just to weigh in, I have to agree, 12 is too young. We could do the movies at 12 but not a rock concert!

Alannah said...

Arkansas should really work that whole "nostalgic about your narrow-minded youth" angle in its tourism brochures.