Saturday, November 24, 2007

Leftovers As Far As the Eye Can See

It's been a very full week, with more working, resting, eating, socializing, cooking, cleaning, activity, and sloth than I had anticipated.

I am grateful for a lot this Thanksgiving. No matter how tired and grumpy and bloated and overcaffeinated and hungover and stressed out I've been, I've never forgotten how truly blessed my life is right now.

Stella helped me make four pies - pumpkin, coconut cream, chocolate cream and perhaps the best pecan pie I've ever tasted....more like a praline, with lots of pecans.

Tonight my sweetie and I are going to see No Country For Old Men. I love that it's still only Saturday.

Only in Arkansas:
Last night I had to run to Wal-Mart. I know, I know. I hate it too. But what else am I supposed to do when I need dog food, toothpaste, tampons, firewood, snacks, and cheese all at once? I hate how convenient it can be. And of course it's not really all that convenient, even. So I'm pushing the cart down an aisle when I hear the Muzak stop and a voice comes over the store intercom announcing that the Hogs have beaten LSU in a third overtime score of 50-48. People cheered. Then went back to shopping. I got a kick out of it and later relayed this story to an old friend. "Oh that's nothing," She said, "One time we were having a very nice Italian dinner in Tontitown when dinner was interrupted for the same sort of reason. Only the entire restaurant then proceeded to call the hogs."

Hey, it's exciting - beating the #1 team!

6 comments:

marty said...

aaron giles once told me about a night at herman's when the entire restuarant started calling the hogs. at the time i scoffed, but she corrected me, saying "it was actually a really nice moment". i realized i was being judgmental. i may not be the biggest sports fan, but i do love arkansas — all of it.

(can you tell i'm homesick? can i start the xmas countdown now?!)

Stephanie said...

Wooooo Pig!

afro moon said...

No Country = Awesome.
So glad you guys made it.
What did Dave think?

Marty - what about Kelly from Chicago asking about 'running the hogs'?
That still cracks me up.

Step Right Up said...

...and that's what makes Arkansas special. I love that durn state (warts and all)!

jeff mac, manslations.com said...

In Connecticut, news about the UConn Huskies (basketball, specifically) used to be as nuts.

I heard a rumor that during a production of the road company of "Chess," the Huskies beat Clemson at the buzzer, and the cast had to pause the show for a moment as the news circulated the theater. Evidently, people were listening to the game through headphones DURING THE PLAY.

5 of 9er said...

You Southern Ladies... so into the pies and cakes. Thankgivings in Memphis usually have more sweets than turkey.

Yea for being truly blessed, and being thankful... I am too!