Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Recommendation of Sorts

I spent the majority of yesterday curled up in bed, sobbing my guts out.

You see, I finally got around to reading The Kite Runner and it completely destroyed me. I'm not sure I will even be able to see the film, as images affect me more deeply than words. I ran to the store to get ingredients for chicken soup. As I was leaving the Salvation Army bell ringer (already?) said "God bless you" to me and I nearly lost it. I do feel blessed (whether or not that blessing comes from a higher source remains to be seen). Blessed because of my place of birth, because of my race, health, education, and socioeconomic status....how privileged I am just because of where I was born and who my parents were. How strange and random it all is.

6 comments:

Step Right Up said...

Wonderful book. Even more wonderful that it touched you. It's nice to be reminded of all the things we can be thankful for.

carolyn says said...

i haven't read this yet but yours is one of many good reviews i have heard

5 of 9er said...

It is one of those books I always see... and think I should read. But I don't.

Being thankful every day for all the things I do have is something I have always done. On the saddest of days I still try to focus on the fact that I have family, friends, my LP, a job,... and I am alive. :)

ReckenRoll said...

That is SUCH a GOOD BOOK. I read it on the Tube. Tried to keep it together. Often had to stop reading and think of something else.

Have you read The Life of Pi?

Alannah said...

I have not read Life of Pi yet, but heard it's good. Will I cry? I don't know if I can take another tearjerker book just yet.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Next time I need a good cry I'll pick it up.

That's a lot of work for a good cry, when I can just listen to the first 30 seconds of about 150 songs I can think of.

Reading is hard . . .