Thursday, December 20, 2007

Not Exactly The Holiday Spirit

I might not understand much about the way the world works - but I try.

I listen to the news on the radio and read several news sources so I try to get information from several sources.

And I'm frustrated and angry with our government. I even went so far as to write (er, email) my representatives in Congress last month. I told them that I wanted them to pay more attention to domestic issues, such as this SCHIP (Children's Health Insurance) bill and social causes. I told them that under no circumstances should they put a bill involving war(s) funding before the President without listing a timetable for withdrawal. I might as well scream into a black hole.

So what happens? Congress gives the President 70 million more dollars, no strings. SCHIP will run out of money around I think May for most states. I just use those two bills as examples because I've been following them closely. The SCHIP bill is of particular interest to me because my daughter was a recipient of the Arkansas version for several years and it was a (literal, in one case) lifesaver for us.

What else can I do? I'm seriously asking. What can I do when I realize I am not living in a country with a representative government. I mean....what do you, these readers think? Am I the only one who is angry about the course of events here? I know that one is a rhetorical question because I talk to people who feel the same way I do. Maybe I should talk to people who DON'T feel the same way. If any of you out there reading this think that the SCHIP bill's latest passage was right, or who fully support additional funding from here to god-knows-when for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, please explain why. Because what more can I do? I vote. I encourage others to vote. I glean information. I read. I discuss. And yet I am at the end of my (pardon) fucking rope.

8 comments:

Alannah said...

Okay, it is just me. I kinda thought so.

afro moon said...

I really love that you posted a comment to yourself.

Alannah said...

Isn't that all a blog really is but a glorified conversation with myself?

marty said...

maybe we should all move to vermont. i just read an article about vermont wanting to succeed from the united states b/c it is not consistent with their values....

Alannah said...

That sounds good. I liked Vermont a lot except for the mosquitoes in the summer (worse than down south, actually).

Is there room for all of us up there, Alisson?

Lori Mocha said...

Living in complete ignorance could help you.

Happy f-ing holidays!

smoore said...

hear, hear, sista! there are a hell of a lot of us out there who are pissed off too- you're certainly not the only one! I think more people like us need to speak out, just like you did on your blog, and get political dialog into our everyday conversations. I know I have a tendency to become apathetic and complacent about the state of our nation, but nothing will ever change if we continue down that road. And if that doesn't work, we can always defect to Canada ;-)...

Alisson said...

There is room in Vermont and one of the psychiatrist's husbands is actually the leader of the successionsist movement. One of my fellow residents is a member too! I think it's hilarious, and I wouldn't mind one bit. Mosquitoes are bad in the summer and all other kinds of bugs but I still like it better.