Saturday, January 05, 2008

Where I've Been

Okay, so...

I've got to back up first. After our indulgent Christmas, we went down to central Arkansas to visit D.'s grandparents. The weather was cold, overcast, and windy which seemed to only enhance the sad, lonely feeling of a town that time has passed by.


Pond on the property


Abandoned chicken house


D. man walking


I admit to being a sucker for old, rural abandoned barns and houses


I won't go chasing this waterfall, no matter how pretty it is.


When we got back from central Arkansas, we had one night at home and then we packed up for three days of hanging out, eating, drinking and A LOT OF KARAOKE SINGING to celebrate the new year with 12 friends from out of town.

We did a little relaxing by the fire,

a TON of singing,

some interpretive dancing,

and, well...other forms of entertaining ourselves.
I wish I could post other pictures of the rest of the group but I haven't procured permission yet.

Then I got hit by the holidays truck.

I think I'm about recovered now. Recovered enough, at least, to cook some good food.

The other night I made falafel with tzatziki sauce and tabbouleh.

In the past I had always used a mix for the falafel but this time I wanted to make it from scratch. The recipe called for soaking garbanzo beans overnight and using the soaked, semi-dry beans but I didn't have time for that (I need instant falafel gratification), so I used two cans of garbanzo beans and dried them for a bit in the oven:

I put the dried beans in the food processor and added:


1 teaspoon of freshly ground cumin,


A handful each of Italian parsley and cilantro, roughly chopped,

a few cloves of garlic, and (unpictured) 1/2 a large onion, also roughly chopped and some cayenne powder.

I pulsed it a few times until it resembled a coarse meal. Then I added 4 Tablespoons of flour and a teaspoon of baking powder. I pulsed it again until it was smooth and looked like it held together well. I refrigerated it for a while then formed it into patties and fried them until golden (pictured above).

MEANWHILE....I grated cucumber into a colander and salted it. After a little bit I squeezed the water out of it and added it to a container of delicious Greek yogurt and added some tahini, and a little water to thin it out.

And also MEANWHILE, I soaked 1/2 cup of bulger wheat in a few tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice:

I chopped the rest of my bunch of Italian parsley and thinly sliced about 2 Tablespoons of mint,

which I added to 2 large tomatoes, diced small, and one small red onion, also diced small (I couldn't find green onions at the health food store and didn't want to go to a whole 'nother store for them....so red onions were what I went with). I then added the bulger, 1/3 cup of olive oil and more lemon juice to complete the tabbouleh:


Voila!
Very tasty. I could have made hummus, or baba ghanoush....or any number of side dishes but I was TIRED, y'all. As, I'm sure, you are now after reading this monstrous post.

Nighty night.

5 comments:

Lori Mocha said...

Desolate photos + food photos = Alannah

Alannah said...

Yes, this here's your one stop shop for all things bleak and delicious.

Alisson said...

yum, yum. you make me hungry. it was good to see you over christmas and sorry i didn't see you more.

Step Right Up said...

How I wish I could've heard your rendition of some good ol' Def Leppard tune.

Anytime I drive through a small town where nothing has changed I feel the need to say aloud "The town where time stands still" or "The town that time forgot" like I'm announcing some intro into a nightly news segment for NBC.

stormysleep.com said...

My, what great photography you have! Don't you love your camera??