Monday, February 18, 2008

Yes, We Can?????

I don't want to talk about inspiration vs. experience. I think it's a disingenuous argument....as if those two issues are opposites. It's a fear-based argument, currently being used to death by a candidate who is very afraid of losing her lead in the polls. And SOME PEOPLE (ahem, my grandmother) believe it wholeheartedly.

But whatever.

The reason Barack Obama excites me as a politician and potential world-leader is because he seems to GET IT. Plain and simple.

Want proof?

This article, an interview with his senior foreign policy advisor Samantha Power, I think shows exactly why his brain and gut and heart and instincts are in the right places. I can't wait to see her in a larger role, actually.

I feel like we, as a nation, are SO CLOSE to either fixing things and getting them right or imploding and losing international respect that I can hardly stand it.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great post.

Megan Chapman said...

YES WE CAN YES WE CAN YES WE CAN!!!
This has just got to happen...
Thanks for the insightful post.
Do I win anything... Just kidding..: )

Alisson said...

I'm with you. I think we are at a point where change is possible but only if we select Obama as our man.

Thanks for the article. I will read it in my spare time. Haha.

marty said...

i completely agree with you. i'm anxiety ridden to say the least. it's hard to be optimistic while protecting yourself from being "crushed" at the same time.

Stephanie said...

Also, I don't think anyone is suggesting that experience isn't important. The reason I hope Barack makes it is because he is a leader, and like you say, he gets it. While I think Hillary is smart, and she has some great ideas, she is still too polarizing to lead an entire country.

Obama has mentioned several times how he would build an administration that is well balanced and represented. I like that. What a great idea.

5 of 9er said...

B.O. was the first politician I ever gave money to. Ever. I believe too.

J. Tyler said...

"Obama has mentioned several times how he would build an administration that is well balanced and represented."

Don't most candidates say something similar? Have you ever heard one say that they were going to build an administration that was particularly partisan and homogeneous? It's just a line, no reason to get excited yet.

Obama will be great (or "get it," whatever that refers to) when he is able to act, and does so accordingly. For now this is still politics, not policy.

Alannah said...

I don't think well balanced and represented is the opposite of "partisan and homogeneous." I think it means many different viewpoints, many different life experiences, socioeconomic backgrounds, races, genders, etc. Just a gander.

What I mean by "get it" is someone who gets that we are starving for real communication, real answers, no matter how realistically ugly they may be. OKay...more to say but I've gotta take a student to pick up a computer....

Anonymous said...

It's important not to overemphasize America's role in all of this. The world has dynamics of its own--and some of them have nothing to do with America, and we can do nothing to influence them. The Kenyan ethnic violence, for example . .