Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Drug-Induced Movie Reviews

Pretty much all I've been able to do the past two days is lie in bed, eat popsicles to soothe my throat, take hydrocodone and anti-virals, and employ the Watch Instantly function of Netflix on my laptop. When it debuted a few months ago their selection was pretty crappy, but it seems to be getting better. I was quite pleased with what I was able to just click on and watch:
  1. 2 Days in Paris. I really loved this film! Not ONLY is Julie Delpy awesome for writing, directing, and editing (not to mention writing a song for) this film of hers - she's also very funny in it. We desperately need more (female) directors who can be dry and self-depracating and still enjoyable to watch. I like that she made her character not-all-that-likeable. It's a very funny film about 30something relationships, cultural differences, fishes out of water, distrust, tourism, language barriers, and meeting the parents. I can't wait to watch it again on our bigger television screen.
  2. Helvetica. I'm not a designer. I don't think about fonts that much. But I really loved this documentary about the history and ubiquitousness of Helvetica. If a film can make typeface interesting to non-designer geeks, then that's really saying something. I can't stop staring at signs, posters, and book covers now.
  3. Downtown 81. Okay so this wasn't exactly a captivating film. For some odd reason I became obsessed with the New York City downtown arts scene when I was 13 years old, living about as far away from it as possible - in a tiny farmhouse in the Ozarks. I was obsessed with Keith Haring, Julian Schnabel, Cy Twombly, The Warhol Factories, and, of course, Jean-Michel Basquiat. I still love reading about that time and this film made it come alive for a little while. I still love the music of that era, too. The Lounge Lizards, The Plastics, etc.
Now they're saying more snow. We're finally getting another wood delivery today. I am very much looking forward to fires and Netflix deliveries this weekend.

8 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

I loved "2 Days in Paris" too. And I've got "Helvetica" in my queue as well.

Feel better.

Step Right Up said...

Excuse me. What did I say about keeping your sickness to yourself? I am sitting here at my desk and not feelin so well. Actuall I think my coworker may have passed on the influenza that she and her family has. Lovely.

I saw previews of Factory Girl on my latest rental. Or was that at the movies? I'm confused. And sick. Have you heard anything? Good/Bad?

marty said...

you watched helvetica!!! i'm so proud. :)

those old italian modernists really cracked me up.

Alannah said...

Hee hee - I'd actually heard good things about Helvetica before I saw it.

I haven't heard anything about Factory Girl but I have a feeling I'll hate it. George Plimpton's book about Edie Sedgewick is one of my oldest favorite books. And I'm sure they won't do it justice in the slightest.

I'm back at work and exhausted. Ready to go back home.

carolyn says said...

we have the soundtrack for downtown 81 (jeremy is obsessed OBSESSED with the post-punk scene) but have never seen the movie which is strange given how much i love basquiat and how much he loves the msic

Stephanie said...

I'm impressed that you were all into the art scene at 13. I didn;t know who those guys were until I was in college.

And I LOVE your movie reviews. Glad I read this before I got home - want to stop and rent 2 Days in Paris. Wonder if the snow will close the schools again.

Lori Mocha said...

THEY MADE A MOVIE ABOUT A SANS SERIF FONT?!

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?!

Anonymous said...

I think Shauna shoudl write or direct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!