Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I Really Hate The Phrase "Playing The Race Card."

Can't we talk about race without it being couched in gambling terms? Barack Obama's speech today about race was, in a word, amazing. When have you heard this topic approached with such insight, honesty, and obvious dedication to opening up a true dialogue? I thought it showed leadership on a level to which we Americans just are not accustomed. This is what I want from my elected leader - someone not afraid to tackle the difficult topics that the majority of our country wishes we could just "get over."

But check out the unfortunate camera position on Joe Scarborough of MSNBC. Just above his shoulder - "Race White." Oops!

7 comments:

AMY said...

That speech was amazing. It's so refreshing to hear a politician speak and actually believe what he's saying.

We had so much fun seeing you this week! We'll be back for Martha's wedding!

Stephanie said...

I still haven't read/heard the entire speech (not a moment to spare with a houseful of visitors!) but from what I've heard so far, I am even more convinced now that if anyone can bring about change and build bridges in this country and with others, it's Barack Obama.

And what's with the sign behind Joe? What did it say?

marty said...

i'm guessing the sign said: race for the white house. but, it's pretty funny. i wonder what camera man got fired for shooting that angle?

5 of 9er said...

Maybe we should make a board game... playing the race card. It could be a hit. Or not.

Step Right Up said...

9er, that game may be too racy. Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Stephanie said...

thanks marty, that makes sense. Poor camera man - all day having to aim directly at the head of a talking promt reader?!

Alannah said...

Yes, sorry. It said "Race for the White House" and I just couldn't resist the unintentional visual irony.