Friday, April 25, 2008

Attempting to Harnass the Power of the Internet

I need your help, dear readers.

In the past two days I've been asked not once, but twice for good book recommendations.

Sarah will be going to Dominica for a month and needs lots of engrossing books to read as she swings lazily in a hammock by the beach. Okay, so in all honesty she could be swatting away malaria-filled mosquitoes, but I can't get over those Wikipedia pictures of the beaches so I'm trying not to hate her.

Lori, on the other hand, is being held captive in an apartment complex filled with grim, judgmental senior citizens. She clearly needs to escape into a good book.

I can highly recommend my current readings: The Braindead Megaphone by George Saunders and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.

Any other suggestions? Don't lead these ladies down a path of mediocre books now, okay, Internet?

9 comments:

marty said...

my interests may vary from others, but these are books that i have recently found fascinating:

in praise of slow by carl honore

in the bubble. designing in a complex world. by john thackara (not just for designers)

Megan Chapman said...

The Gum Thief- by Douglas Coupland

No one belongs here more than you- stories by Miranda July

Tales of the City(series)- Armistead Maupin

That is my short list. Hope that helps.

LD said...

Depending on mood:

Anything by Anne Lamott
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz)
Lush Life (Richard Price)
A Primate's Memoir (Robert Sapolsky, or his other incredible book Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers)
Snow (Orhan Pamuk)

Lately I've been on a Kafka tear, reading everything he wrote, so those are on the list too.

Jae said...

Just picked up my special order copy of Geldof in Africa by Bob Geldof. I'm only four chapters in and I'm loving every page! Iheard him speak at a conference last month in San Diego and immediately ran out to get the book- which wasn't in stock, which just let me anticipate it that much longer!

The review on the cover reads: "Brilliant. Spluttering with fury . . . and incredulous horror. Just as often, very very funny." - My thoughts exactly!

AMY said...

I'm reading Gang Leader for a Day by Sudhir Venkatesh. Sudhir was featured in Freakonomics (which everyone should read -- it's so interesting!) and this is his book about gangs in Chicago. It's pretty fascinating -- and depressing. It's hard to put down.

carolyn says said...

any of Maggie O'Farrell's books, especially The Disappearing Act of Esme Lennox, I really like to read YA books on holiday (that's right Holiday, not vacation) Tamora Pierce is good, Phillip Pullman, and Meg Rosoff too.

Step Right Up said...

The resort we're going to in Riviera Maya has a library! I'm almost as excited about that as I am of the free unlimited booze!

Augusten Bourroughs has a new memoir out about his father. It has the word FORK in the title?? I'm having a brain fart.

5 of 9er said...

I always go with the Grapes of Wrath... it surprises me how many people have never read it, or have not read it since high school.

Lori Mocha said...

Ok, now I'm overwhelmed.

Back to the safety of cable for me!