Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Finding Gratitude Wherever I Can

I had a great birthday. I took the day off work. I got my car tags renewed. I lay in bed and read an entire novel. My students threw a party for me and it was so sweet and thoughtful. I received gifts from all over the world and felt like a true guest of honor. I drank some Roederer (regretting it instantly the next morning when I returned to work) in my adorable new stemless flutes. I'm securely in my 30s now. No pretending otherwise!

Things have been difficult with Stella. I have a teenage daughter. That should explain most of the problems. Mothering a teenage daughter is like having your heart ripped out of your chest, kicked around for a while, and then sweetly replaced with a kiss on your cheek.

6 comments:

AMY said...

Happy Birthday!

carolyn says said...

Happy belated birthday

5 of 9er said...

Happy Birthday! I Love the Roederer!!! LP and I had it at our wedding so it's tops on our list. Hopefully you drank it before getting your tags renewed. :)

And about Stella... well, some day she might have a teenage daughter too and she'll get some back. :)

Megan Chapman said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

Congratulations on being "securely in your 30's...

I remember you as a teenager- I think. ;)

"Oh Stella..... Stella..."

Thinking of you-xx

Step Right Up said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! Remember when I use to be a good friend and send you a card? What happened to that person?

Hmmm Stella...have you thought of boarding school? ;)

Stephanie said...

I ...and mothering a teenage son is like having your eardrums accosted with various screeches, thunderous percussion, and every gross sound imaginable; then lulled by a voice on the other end of the phone saying, "I just wanted to call to let you know I’m home," or the sweetest guitar rendition of Iron Man ever.

:)