Sunday, April 06, 2008

I Could Get Used To This

Would you take a look at this girl? My baby? Yeah. I can't believe it either. She got a digital camera for her birthday and has been taking a ton of black and white self portraits like this one.

As I briefly mentioned earlier, we had a rough beginning to our week which resulted in Stella losing access to her phone and iPod, AND being grounded for her three-day weekend. I was the Worst Mother in the World....again. But then something bizarre happened. You might expect a 13 year-old to react to this injustice with even more anger and resentment and bad attitude but, surprisingly, it may have snapped her out of it. Stella responded in a way that, well, shocked me. We had a really great week and weekend together. Maybe we just needed mom and daughter time. She was pleasant and helpful and I really enjoyed her company. We had parent/teacher conferences on Friday and she's doing very well in school. High A's. Her math teacher recommended her for Honors Algebra next year, even. I fully expected her to spend the rest of the weekend pouting and fuming because she wasn't with her friends but....she didn't.

Last night we spent the night with our friend Robin and her girls. We watched Into the Wild together. She really got into the movie and was (understandably) emotional when it was over. I snuggled with her for a while and that memory will carry me through whatever challenge comes next in parenting a young teenager. I feel recharged and full of gratitude.

A few pictures from the past week:


The party the students threw for me


This is Jade. I think here she's some sort of alien cowgirl chef superhero. Obviously.

This is Abbey. She has a freakishly astute understanding of the world. At the ripe age of 19. I've known her since she was a baby and respect the hell out of her.


Oh! And the icing on the cake with Stella this weekend? When we got home today she MOWED THE YARD. We didn't have to beg, cajole or threaten even! I had to get proof:


8 comments:

carolyn says said...

She is so pretty! i am deeply jealous of her hair color and ability to take good self portraits. i always end up looking like I'm having a seizure when I do them

Megan Chapman said...

Wow- Stella takes a mighty fine self portrait!

Awesome. Glad to hear things are going better.

Step Right Up said...

Wow! Maybe you need to ground her and take away her modern conveniences more often! Glad you two had a great weekend.

Alisson said...

wow, stella is really changing!

glad you two are reconnecting

still jealous that stella has an ipod touch!!

Stephanie said...

I was gonna say something like what Step Right Up said, hehe! That Mother Daughter Time is totally underrated :)

You are an awesome Mom. Stella is super lucky to have you.

Oh, and I LOVE your lawn mower! I really want to get one of those.

Alannah said...

Um, I'm jealous that Stella has an iPod Touch too.

Our gasless mower is harder to use and doesn't mow as close to the ground....but it's cheaper and uses no gas. It seems to work great running on teenage hormones, though.

Lori Mocha said...

Oh my god! Your baby isn't a baby anymore!

5 of 9er said...

The moving the yard photos are classic! I am glad to hear things turned for the better. :)