Wednesday, May 28, 2008

More Of The Same

I've been insane with work, stress, neck pain, parenting, blah blah...you know the drill.

I was sad to hear the Sidney Pollack had died. I liked him as an actor (especially in Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives) and liked him even more as a director. He directed one of my all-time favorite films, Out of Africa. That film remains one of my favorites because it doesn't try too hard. It just tells a compelling story. It doesn't hurt that the scenery is incredibly and two of the best American actors star in it. I encourage everyone to watch it again and see what the film has to say about male and female communication. I think this film expertly shows why we're drawn to each other and, paradoxically, how we drive each other away. Now that I think about it, Pollack might have been a genius at demonstrating gender issues on screen, because he also directed Tootsie, another of my favorites.

Last weekend I said goodbye a group of students and this weekend I'll say hello to a new group, with new dynamics and challenges and personalities. Turn, turn, turn.

2 comments:

5 of 9er said...

I'm just the opposite... I liked him more as an actor. :)

Step Right Up said...

I have a cure for your ails including the work and parenting. It's called pop some pills. Or I guess you could do something a little more tame like lock yourself in the bathroom with a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door, fix yourself a nice relaxing bath, have a bottle of wine, some relaxing tunes, and a good book.