Friday, May 16, 2008

TGIF

This week began with a day-long meeting/training on Monday. Within the first hour, a co-worker bumped into my glass of orange juice, spilling it all over my notes and me (corduroy = perfect fabric for retaining every sticky bit of pulp). It was a complete accident, but it set the bar for the rest of the week.

This week has ended with a hot gel-pack thing wrapped around my neck and shoulders, wincing every time I turn my head and send hot needles of pure unadulterated pain down into the bones and muscles of my upper half.

And those were the fun parts!

Here are the things that saved me from running away and hitchhiking to Mexico:
  • The most thoughtful, beautiful, awesome, and delicious gifts from Stephanie's recent trip to Europe. She could teach workshops in gift-buying. They were that good and perfect.
  • The unexpected gift of several pounds of organic carrots. What does one do with such a gift? This one made curried carrot/ginger soup that kicked my taste buds' asses. Sunshine in a bowl, I'm tellin' ya.
  • Talking with my grandmother. She is amazing. Take my word for it.
  • Watching Across the Universe with Stella, hearing her sing along with my favorite songs, and both of us wiping away tears at the end.
  • Evening walks by myself. I close my eyes and breathe deeply, paying attention to every sight, sound, and smell. I found a hatched robin egg and thought about taking a trash bag to pick up litter next time. I never do.
  • Instant-messaging with Lori and my sister Kate.
  • Driving past the Equine Center pastures for the sole purpose of staring at the newborn foals.
  • D. I've been a stressed-out, emotionally-saturated basket case and he claims to still love me.

2 comments:

Lori Mocha said...

La la la laaaaaaaaaa.

Stephanie said...

I've gotta rent Across the Universe and see it again. I really think W would like it too, despite what his "buddies" had to say - teenage boys can be so, so , sooooo..... eeerrrgh.

And evening walks are so zen. As is the occasional solitude.