Monday, July 28, 2008

Let's Get Back To The Food

I had houseguests this weekend, Carrie who I only get to see a few times a year and Sarah who I hadn't seen in several years. D. and Stella were in Eureka so we turned the house into what Sarah called Alannah's Spa.

There were three English majors at the spa, two with advanced degrees, and yet here was our reading material of choice:
Brunch. Notice that all four food groups were represented: Cherokee purple tomatoes, eggs, vodka, and pesto.

Pesto Eggs Benedict with heirloom tomatoes and roasted fingerling potatoes.

Raw potatoes, freshly picked & sold at the farmers' market. I love those Peruvian purples.

Afternoon dessert: homemade vanilla ice cream with Arkansas peaches.

Sunday evening party at Sunshine's.

12 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Thank you for admitting to your love of US Weekly with an advanced English degree. Although I don't really read US Weekly or any of those, it is nice to know that I won't have to feel guilty if I do.

Anonymous said...

i'm jealous! brunch with ladies and a party at sunshine's, dang!

marty

carolyn says said...

i want those eggs!

and suddenly i have a burning desire to know more about jennifer garner

Alannah said...

See, Carolyn, it must be an English degree thing. We spent so much time dissecting Middlemarch, Shakespeare, Keats, and Faulkner that now all we can manage is Who Wore It Better?

carolyn says said...

it was all those papers on hemmingway and fitzgerald wot did me in

Wondering Woman said...

I'm starving. Were the potatoes as good as they looked? I guess I've lived a sheltered life, I've never even heard of pickling a potato.

Alannah said...

The potatoes were incredible. All I did was pour a little olive oil, some sea salt & freshly ground pepper on them and roasted them in a 425 oven for about 30 minutes.

Those are picked potatoes, not pickled! I've never seen pickled potatoes either, although we tend to pickle just about everything here in the south.

Stephanie said...

That is quite possibly the best looking breakfast spread I've seen. I saw those fingerlings at the market Saturday. Now I'll definitely have to get some next time I'm there :)

Wondering Woman said...

Fresh PICKED, I see it now, but I swear I reread it several times yesterday and saw pickled every time. Last night I dreamed about how a pickled potato might taste. Oops, just call me Rosanne Rosanna Dana.

jessica said...

food glorious food, we do have some of the best food parties I know of...we are the coolest!

smoore said...

oh my, when I can I book a stay at your spa?! yum...

Step Right Up said...

Wish you could "travel your spa" up this way next week a few days early and do my mani, pedi, and a wax. Is the wax pushing it?