Friday, July 11, 2008

Simple Math

4 hrs of sleep per night
+ 12 hrs of work a day
+ 4 concurrent programs
+ the news, any of it
+ oppressive humidity
____________________
Nervous breakdown time for Alannah!




But...
I had a superfun time last Saturday night when D. and I had a barbecue in honor of Nick and Stacey's upcoming wedding. It ended four hours, six bottles of wine, four kinds of meat, an appetizer, two dishes, and two homemade ice creams later with two couples nodding off on the couch watching When Harry Met Sally. That's how we roll, y'all.

This week has been a blur of new program arrivals, student neediness (it seems some types of people require a lot more attention when they're out of their element), and just general all around fatigue and short fusedness that naturally results from doing a hundred things at once for far too long. I can either sprint or go long distance - I can't do both. I prefer sprinting.

Last night I asked Stella to help me with a reception for about 50 people that we did for one of our summer programs. Afterwards she cleaned up everything quickly and without a single eye roll or protest. Progress! We were carrying stuff out to my car when I remembered that we have use of a golf cart at work in the summers when we need to run all over campus. I figured it was the perfect time to just have some fun together. So we took a joyride around campus.....and I let her drive. Considering that the last time she drove a golf cart she wrapped it around a tree I'd say she drove quite well. I only gripped the seat in terror once.

By late evening it had started to finally cool off a bit and there were these refreshing gusts (as opposed to the day breezes that feel more like Mother Nature just breathing heavily) rustling through the gorgeous big old trees covering campus. I spend remarkably little time walking around our lovely big green campus. Most of my work hours find me in an ugly retrofitted dorm located in what I refer to as The Suburbs because we're so far away from the academic buildings. As Stella got the hang of maneuvering around the narrower spots, I pointed out the various buildings that I never stopped to appreciate when I was in college. I held on tight as we raced around the sidewalks, giggling and squealing. We decided to look for my name on the Senior Walk - something I had never done before! It was so fun, zooming around, seeing the names of so many friends. It is a memory I'll carry with me. Not to mention it was my first experience with Stella as the chauffeur and me as the passenger. I could get used to it.

In thanks I made her lemon poppyseed muffins with a lemon glaze this morning. Mmmm.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Have I mentioned lately how lucky Stella is to have you? And you to have her? That ride around campus is an awesome memory to treasure!

carolyn says said...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/audio/2008/jul/04/lorrie.moore.paper.losses

haven't listened to this yet but i thought you might be interested