Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Enough To Make Me Turn Vegan

I feel like someone is wringing out my uterus like a wet towel. Perhaps this is needless to say, but it's also making me a complete emotional wreck and a moody monster.

This is the absolute WORST CONDITION in which one might watch the PBS Nature episode Wisdom of the Wild. But that's exactly what I did the other night. It's all about how animals can help humans and was basically one big emotional sobfest for me. Like the people who rescue baby elephant orphans and keep them from dying of broken hearts because they're so lonely and miss their families? Forget it. The part where I just completely lost it, though, was when this woman who had worked to rescue chimpanzees from research laboratories visited the refuge where she sent some of them. She hadn't seen the chimps in nearly 20 years. One recognized her right away and got really excited and started jumping around and reached out to hug her. TORRENTS OF TEARS, I'm telling you.

6 comments:

Jeff Mac said...

Have you seen the video where the couple releases their pet lion to a wildlife preserve, and then goes to visit? Holy crap. Here it is:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYbFQFXG0U

Seriously. Holy crap.

afro moon said...

My heart almost can't handle such programming. Truckloads of tissue are necessary.
I even have to turn the channel when that damn ASPCA commercial with Sarah Mclachlan comes on. I cry every time.

Alannah said...

oh my god, Jeff Mac - someone showed me that video a few weeks ago and I almost didn't believe it because of the awful "I Will Always Love You" wailing in the background.

And Afro - I can't handle that commercial either. The sad dog eyes are JUST TOO SAD.

boleroid said...

Sorry, but here's this, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcMqBqkrBMw

Alannah said...

John Mark - you're really trying to kill me, aren't you?

Step Right Up said...

That kinda stuff always has me bawling. And Jeff Mac beat me to the lion story.

I usually have to have a tissue on hand when I watch Animal Cops.