Monday, August 18, 2008

International Intrigue?

I received two emails from former students of mine from Russia this morning...your typical "I arrive home safe...I miss Arkansas" emails that I tend to get at the end of every term. So I emailed them back my typical "I'm glad you're home...we miss you too" email. EXCEPT this time both emails bounced back to me with a cryptic "access from this IP address is blocked" error message.

Do you think Russia is blocking emails from university IP addresses? Because of Georgia?


Hmmm......


Maybe I'm just trying to make my job be more exciting than it really is.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

From Russia with love...

Did you ever find out what happened to the student who went AWOL?

Alannah said...

From Russia with suspicion and paranoia....

That student is officially AWOL. Lost in the sea of illegal immigrants, I guess. I've made peace with that, though. Who knows how awful conditions are in his country....they must be to take him away from his family and profession.

Jeff Mac, manslations.com said...

I certainly wouldn't find it hard to believe that they'd do that. I'm sure such things are not only 100% possible, but they're done all the time.

But know this -- I am often guilty of wishing life were more interesting than it really is. And Occam's Razor might lead me to believe that an outage in connectivity (due to, you know, folk bombing the shit out of folk) could be another likely explanation.

Alannah said...

Jeff..there's no bombing (admittedly, that I know of) in BFE Russia where these students are! Plus...there's that suspicious "access blocked from this IP address" error message! Clearly the KGB is trying to keep me and my Western influence away from these people!!

Oh, just play along, why dontcha?

afro moon said...

Regarding your life/job:
I just sent a screenplay to Martin Scorsese.
Get ready to be famous.