Thursday, August 07, 2008

KC - Episode Requiring A Tiring Number of Ironic Quotation Marks

Just sittin' here in my Business Queen (Queen because that's the size of the bed. I guess "Business Double" sounds a little dirty. What makes it Business? The desk? Isn't that, like, standard?) room in The Q Hotel in Kansas City. They proudly describe themselves as "Kansas City's First Green Hotel." I'm not really in the mood to go into my rant about the adjective "green" so let's just say that, beyond the wee little snazzy silver trash can with a "Please Recycle" sticker on it, I don't really see what makes this a "Green Hotel." They ask not to wash our towels every day, and perhaps offer a low-flow shower head (I didn't pay attention). They do have a coffee pot with little packets of organic coffee and some paper cups. My personal opinion is that it's sort of a lame attempt at jumping on a marketing bandwagon. Maybe I have snobbily high standards but it'd be nice to at least see LEED certification or recycled furnishings, and all natural fabrics. But no...it's just a few half-assed gestures and fingers crossed that no one will notice that it's just a surface makeover to try to make an aging hotel seem "hip." That kind of thing fills me with rage. Like when you see Gwyneth Paltrow on PlanetGreen talking about making her own baby food puree. Who do you think you're kidding??? I guess me, because I'm the idiot who fell for it thinking, "Well...it's got to be a tiny bit better than staying at the Holiday Inn...where they...um, throw away all their trash and wash towels every day?" I'm just perpetuating this stupid trend!! I'm a late adopter!

But what the hell? I grew up with no indoor plumbing and an organic garden! We lived about as "sustainable" as you can without getting all creepy and obsessive....I've been "green" since it was still called "hippy!" See, so I'm really an early adopter! Ha! For the only time in my life probably, but still!

Shit. I think I slipped into the rant a little. I CAN'T HELP MYSELF.

PS - I'm cheap...but spending this much money for the sheer privilege of sleeping in a different city makes me think of all the kitchen gadgets I could have bought instead...

I think the important thing to remember, though, is that this is all very exciting because A.) I get a mini-vacay from working and parenting....oh and B.) Stacey and Nick are gettin' hitched! And the bridesmaid dress is prettier in person than in the picture...that never happens! And I'm visiting a part of the U.S. that I never have before - the exotic Middle. That big ol' beige expanse that I've never really thought to explore. So far my take is that it's kind of funny and sad and beautiful and weird and boring....but it doesn't count because I'm only in Missouri and I've been here many times before. I'll let you know my touristic take on Iowan interstate sights tomorrow.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That sustainability stuff was all over the place in the European hotels too - little note placards asking us to reuse the towels, and low-flow showers. Or maybe that is just European, by default.

jessica said...

Don't get me started about "green" and its commercialization. I am the ultimate queen of green but really people do you understand what that means...

marty said...

yeah, ditto on the don't get me started comment. i'm scared about what will happen when the "trend" passes. back to hummers being cool? great....