Monday, August 18, 2008

Of No Importance Whatsoever

Anyone else mildly disturbed by the new SEXY M&M ad?
Grody, huh?

I gave up ever trying to read a book again a long time ago. However, our recent road trip afforded me the time and opportunity to put a dent in my New Yorker backlog. Some intriguing, thought-provoking, entertaining, and often sad reading, in particular, were the articles on Medical Marijuana, the life and death of Alan Rogers, and Indian sex workers who are "chosen" by the goddess Yellamma.

I can't bring myself to read my other fresh-from-the-mailbox issues of O or Harper's. The former can sometimes make me feel just a tad too mom-y, not to mention that the magazine seems to exist in exotic Oprahland where a dress costing $200 is considered a "bargain," and the latter just requires too much close attention. I have a sinking suspicion that I'm getting progressively dumber every day. I can't speak a foreign language. I don't have the patience for Harper's magazine. I've never seen The Wire. Maybe there's some sort of crash course for me. Like fat camp...but smart camp.

5 comments:

marty said...

ok, if you need smart camp we are all seriously in trouble.

and yes, sexy m&m's = creepy

AMD said...

Ah, magazine subscriptions. Here's mine:

1. Domino
2. Real Simple
3. XLR8R
4. National Geographic

They are all REAL easy reads, mostly pictures, ha. RS has great recipes in it, though!

I'm in need of a good short story collection for the beach. Suggestions?

Alannah said...

I totally need to get on the home decorating magazine bandwagon. I'm addicted to HGTV as it is (further proof that I'm an old lady mom-jeans-wearing suburbanite).

I also subscribe to Bon Appetit and read it cover to cover every month. I get so many ideas from it.

Good short story collection (I'm ignoring your mention of the beach - JEALOUS!)...hmm...have you read Lorrie Moore's Birds of America. It's hilarious and sad and wonderful. I also love Amy Bloom's short stories. Oh! I bet you'd like George Saunders...his latest book is called The Braindead Megaphone and it's full of essays and good stuff. But you really need to read Pastoralia first. He's so funny and out there.

AMY said...

That M&M's ad totally creeped me out. Thanks!

Step Right Up said...

O should stand for Overrated instead of Oprah.

Of course this is just my Opinion.

By the way, if you and Dave would have slipped a gift certificate in a congraulatory wedding card for marriage counseling it would've been the icing on the cake or should I say cupcake?