Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Clickety, Clickety, Click

I keep bitching and moaning about how I'm not reading any books or catching up on my getting-higher-by-the-week stack of New Yorkers but that doesn't mean I'm not reading enjoyable things. I'm always up for at good tumble down the rabbit hole of Wikipedia research, for one. It's crazy how you start with one innocent search for, say, busking...then next thing you know it's hours later, you have to pee, your eyes are burning, and you're reading about The October Revolution...or does that only happen to me? I'm a huge fan of categorized information. I used to read The Encyclopedia Brittanica, volume by volume, when I was a kid. I think I've waited my whole life for Wikipedia, where each underlined blue word is a new journey.

And then there's blogs. I want every one of my friends to have a blog! That means YOU Ang, Debbie, Sarah C., Christina, Ginny, Carrie, Sarah S., Kelly S., and all the rest! Your lives are INTERESTING and I want to hear more about wine, selling your vegetables and flowers at a tiny farmers market, financial management office politics, forensic anthropology (or whatever the hell it is you do, Sarah), and professoring. I want to see pictures of your kids and pets. I want to hear all about your boring-ass lives! Don't be shy!

It's so great to regularly read about what's going on with Amy, Jessica, Carolyn, Alisson, Stacey, Megan, Sarah, Stephanie, and Marty. I love how my friends filter the world around them

I love discovering a blog and then the exciting realization that there is an extensive and delicious archive to dig into. I've been experiencing that with Fear Ants, who I can't believe I haven't met yet and now I just can't wait to, Evany Thomas, who is hilarious and appears to live the most fun life ever, and Chocolate and Zucchini, who has already perfected that envious perfect French woman bit.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know what busking is!! Of course, only because I looked it up a while back after watching the movie "once" and reading some interviews with the actors/musicians :)
One time I ended up on the wiki page for 'female hysteria' and oh, was that a trip.

I heard that the day before Palin was announced as gop vp, there was a flurry of activity and changes being made on her wikipedia page... imagine what we might have read.

I like the phrase you used, how your friends "filter the world around them." Isn't that the truth.

Alannah said...

What did you think of Once? I loved it...D., not so much. I guess I can't watch movies about struggling musicians with a struggling musician...

I'm already totally Palin-ed out.

AMD said...

Enjoying the blog roll-call!

I can't wait to meet you, too!

JMB said...

Dang, I would give you something to read but the NWA Crime beat is on the straight and narrow

Alannah said...

I keep clicking and waiting, John Mark....the rednecks have got to act up sometime soon, though, right??

Megan Chapman said...

Thanks for blog call up!

and I love what you said about "filtering" our lives. Gotta have the filters. I love reading my friend's blogs too, and yours is mandatory...

smoore said...

I love coming here to peer into your life as well! I'm just sorry I don't comment more ;-)...

Stephanie said...

I also loved Once. The ending, man... I loved, and hated the ending.