Sunday, September 28, 2008

Exxtreme Nesting

This weekend was the big biker rally. Although I have gone the previous two years, in order to take pictures...this year I just didn't have it in me. I couldn't leave the house all weekend, actually.

Top Chef should do a challenge where the chefs have to make a multi-course meal with only the items in an agoraphobic's refrigerator. So...I got desperate and made do with a lot of things I found in my freezer.

For the rice, I sauteed garlic and turmeric in some olive oil and then added some brown basmati rice. I always toast my rice before I cook it. I think it makes the rice nuttier and fluffier.

Meanwhile I marinated tofu chunks in a combination of soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and onion powder.

When the rice was nearly done, I added the last of a frozen bag of edamame. That bag has lasted me for months. I like to throw a handful here and there into whatever sounds good.

A bag of frozen vegetables (soggy) and the tofu and marinating liquid. Stella and I though this meal was very good. D. ate popcorn.

I had apples that would go bad this week and a half package of filo dough that's been in my freezer for well over a year now. I chopped up the apples and added to them some brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger powder, and, because I didn't have any lemons to juice over it all, a tablespoon or so of Limoncello cream kept in the freezer. I rolled it up in the filo dough and they made for delicious and easy pseudo turnovers!

D. takes his with vanilla AND chocolate. Chocolate? With baked apple things? Hmm.....


Then, this morning I still felt like making special things so I made whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. I like for the batter to be thick enough for the scoop to stand up straight:

Oh hey, what do you know? I had a tiny bit of frozen wild blueberries in my freezer as well. Those got added.

And topped with real grade B Vermont maple syrup that had been bubbling on the stove with toasted pecans and a vanilla bean. Mmm-mmmm.

10 comments:

carolyn says said...

will you move to London and cook for me every day? i will pay you with affection and admiration

marty said...

yummy!

afro moon said...

Could you come to my house and make me something delicious?
Here are the items you have to work with:
frozen chicken nuggets
rainbow sherbet
old cabbage
beer

I need Alannah grocery shopping lessons.

ste-pha-nie said...

Oh, man, Alannah, that looks like so much fun.
We totally holed up this weekend too.

I got a kick out of D eating popcorn. That sounds like something that would happen at my house.

By the way, have you ever prepared fresh artichoke?

Step Right Up said...

I wish I liked edamame. I hear it is good for you. I don't hate it but I am far from loving it.

AMD said...

From what I've heard, the biker rally is either awesome or terribly annoying. You wanna know what's just as annoying? A freaking RV rally, here in Argenta. These freaks do not obey the rules of traffic and have caused me to swerve & narrowly missing their golf cart drivin'/bicycle ridin'/street jaywalkin' ass. I wish they'd go home, but they ARE home. Butthurts!

I need to clear out the cupboard. Good idea!

Alannah said...

Carolyn - yes! Can I sleep in Oliver's room?

AfroMoon - Yes! I hope you like chicken nuggets with a sweet sherbet glaze served with spicy cabbage and washed down with lots of beer!

Stephanie - it's been ages since I made fresh artichoke but I've been wanting to...funny you should mention. I love the ritualistic nature of peeling and eating a freshly steamed artichoke, leaf by spiky leaf..mmmm.

SRU - that's a shame. I think edamame has an almost buttery, rich delicious flavor. I also like to make dip with it, like hummus, but with edamame instead of chick peas.

Alannah said...

"I wish they'd go home but they are home" hahahahahahaha. Go back to your hook-ups you gas-guzzling, all-who-wander-aren't-lost, retired freaks!

The biker rally is very much awesome/annoying. I must be losing my sense of humor, though, because I just couldn't deal with the noise this year.

5 of 9er said...

Thankfully (in Chicago) for agoraphobics there is Peapod. :)

carolyn says said...

totally, if by "Oliver's room" you mean the chair he likes to sleep on next to our bed that is