Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Food Talk

I always feel so much better when I get to cook more at home. Abbey and Gijs came over for dinner. I'd been craving Indian food so I made chicken madras and served it with saffron basmati rice, steamed cauliflower, and a cucumber raita. It's been misty and cool and crisp and sunny. This drop in temperature make me immediately feel like stirring a few bubbling pots and smelling lots of warm spices.

Tomorrow night we're having more people over for dinner. What sort of dinner do I want? I don't know yet. But I have ripe peaches that I need to do something with. I started thinking about some sort of upside down cake-y thing. Then I started thinking of skillet cornbread. Although I believe it is blasphemous to put sugar in cornbread, I like the idea of a sweet corn cake. So I'm thinking of making/inventing some sort of peach upside lemon corn cake, cooked in a big cast iron skillet, and perhaps sweetened only with honey. I might put some almonds in it too. And definitely ginger. Ginger lemon honey corn cake topped with carmelized peaches. Sounds awesome, doesn't it?

So I've got dessert covered. I'll let you know how it turns out.

7 comments:

Lori said...

ALANNAH - you absolutely have to post the final recipe when you come up with this corn/peach/ginger cake thingy. Seriously. I am buying ingredients and just waiting. That sounds amazing.

Step Right Up said...

Oh how I wish I lived next door to you in hopes you would invite me over for supper every now and then. And of course for your company, too!

Stephanie said...

I am also getting that urge to bake and cook...
Your idea for a corn cake sounds great. I've been making the War Eagle cornbread (recipe on the bag) for years. It uses a touch of honey, but is not too sweet. And I love the stoneground crunch texture.

I love saffron too. I had an amazing saffron pasta dish in Tuscany, and it's in many Swedish bread recipes. Mmmmm! I can almost smell the aroma.

AMD said...

I don't know if you guys use the slow cooker, but I'm draggin' mine out! I love coming home from work to a crock full o beans! Mmmm. I love autumn. Squash season!

Alannah said...

I showed the saffron threads to Stella last night, explaining how they're the pistils of crocus flowers. I still think that's just about the coolest thing ever.

So, yeah, that's what I did last night instead of going to Parent Night at Ramay. Does that make me a bad mom? I felt a teensy bit guilty.

I love the slow cooker. It's perfect for the lazy epicurean (ex. ME).

I don't know what to make for the dinner that will precede the peach corn cake. Lemon-y, garlicky pasta primavera type thing? With shrimp? We'll see....I may figure it out when I'm at the store tonight.

Stephanie said...

You didn't miss anything at parent night. I was glad to just meet the teachers face to face but I could've skipped the musical-classrooms.

I think skipping parent night and teaching Stella about saffron threads makes you an Awesome Mom!

Step Right Up said...

Aaaah, parent night. It seems like only yesterday my mom was going to parent night at Ramay for us. By us, I mean my bro and I not you and I of course.