Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wednesday Night Dinner

I pulled this dinner out of my ass (ew, Alannah...was that really necessary?) and it was a smashing success, if I do say so!


Fettucine with shrimp, arugula, edamame, shallots, and lemon basil.

AND....my ginger peach upside down skillet lemon corn cake!
It worked!


First I melted some brown sugar and butter in the skillet, then I added minced ginger and the peach slices. I let it all sizzle on the stovetop on medium heat for about 10 minutes - then I put it all (still in the skillet) in a 350° oven while I made this cake batter, except I substituted lemon zest for orange zest. I took the skillet out of the oven and plopped the batter on top of the carmelized peaches, gently spreading it out. I baked the cake for about 30 minutes before taking it out to cool. Afterwards the cake slid perfectly onto the plate, peaches perfectly intact on top. The final touch was a healthy dollop of crème fraîche on each slice.

A piece of that cake and this week's heck of a Project Runway episode. LIFE DOES NOT GET MUCH BETTER THAN THIS! Not often does something surpass my expectations....but this cake was a definite winner. As for the designers/contestants? Not so much. What happened this week?? Did the designers dive headfirst into the crazy end of the pool or what? And so much passive-aggression....jesus. That Kenley...ooh, she's really cruisin' for a bruisin'. It's hard to imagine someone might really be that deluded and tacky and overly confident, but I think she might be. I don't like how she sasses the judges, either. And Blayne? Here was our proof that all his time in the tanning booth has cooked every last brain cell and taste molecule. Bondagewear meets beige nightie meets unitard meets wadded cascading layers of bright fabrics. Unbelievable. I'm rooting for Korto, not just because she's from Arkansas, but because she has been quietly and surely doing incredible work from the beginning (that seatbelt kimono!) and also for Leanne who seems to have grown from doing weird, artsy, and sometimes ugly, clothes to glamorous, interesting, eye-catching designs. She's coming into her own, whereas I think Korto has had a strong point of view from the beginning. It's getting good, y'all.

I give the whole night an A+.

8 comments:

libertas said...

I am still waiting for you to write that cookbook and include the fabulous photographs of your culinary art.

boleroid said...

holy crap that peach thing looks awesome.

Alannah said...

Thanks! It was awesome. I think this is definitely worthy of a cookbook.

afro moon said...

Arugula?
You're such an elitist.

Alannah said...

HAhahaha...I told everyone at dinner last night that the arugula was in honor of Obama. here's to tasty, delicious elitism!

AMD said...

Alannah! Wow!

allison said...

i can't believe korto didn't win the Diane von Furstenburg challenge. her dress was killing it!

AMY said...

I am going to make that cake! It looks scrumptious!