Tuesday, October 14, 2008

White-Knuckled Times

This week is all kinds of crazy. Work-wise, current events-wise, you name it.

I got my IRA statement in the mail yesterday and was afraid to open it. Anyone else freaked out by our increasingly socialized financial system? That's kind of a rhetorical question - I know we're all freaked out. And numb from being freaked out so many times for so long.

I've got big, big hopes for this election. But I also know better than to underestimate the sneaky, dirty, underhandedness that can happen when elections are close (ex. 2000).

Here's what helps me cope:
  • Snacking on yogurt-covered pretzels from ONF. The bulk bin makes them super easy and tempting.
  • Plucking gray hairs from my dark roots. You know...trying to hold back the tide.
  • Walking at sunset
  • Driving by the young colts at the University Equine Center on my way to school/work in the mornings
  • Coffee...IV drip
  • Falling asleep with my work clothes still on - classic coping mechanism
  • The old standby: self medication
  • Denial
  • Project Runway/The Office/30 Rock/International House Hunters
  • Taking pictures
  • Planning vegetarian meals (tonight: spaghetti squash w/ fake meat tomato sauce)
  • Seeing D. open for The Maybelles tomorrow night at George's. If you're in Fayetteville you should go! Seriously! You won't regret it. I know it's a Wednesday night...but I'm going, and will be at work at 8:00am on Thursday. If this gray-haired, exhausted, cranky, overworked, old lady is going then you can too.
  • Stella. She's so awesome. She's doing really well in school, learning all sorts of cool things, has been helpful around the house, and continues to amaze me at how un-13 she acts (compared to me at that age). Most of the time.
  • Getting new music in the mail!
  • Snuggling with a pet on each side of me. Peace in the animal kingdom! Everyone gets my attention!
  • Thinking that, compared to 96% of the rest of the world, I've got it real, real good.

1 comment:

5 of 9er said...

5 of 9er says that Project Runway always help him cope... not one bad season so far. (5 of 9er is talking like Suede). :)